Comparison: Concertina Connection Minstrel (+Wakker bellows) and Rochelle-2

Hi, Folks,

My main concertina is Minstrel with Wakker bellows upgrade that I boughtin early 2018, and I have acquired Rochelle-2 this year.

Since both of them are hybrid Anglo concertina provided by Concertina Connection, I suppose some of you may be interested in how different they are. 

First of all, please have in mind that I know nothing about the default bellows that come with standard Minstrel. 

Secondly, according to the website of Concertina Connection, bellows for English (or Duet) differ from those of Anglo. 

http://www.concertinaconnection.com/replacement bellows.htm

Therefore, what I write here, especially on bellows, may not apply to English concertinas and Duet concertinas. 

Thirdly, my Minstrel is version 1.0 with Hat design. Current Minstrel is version 2.0 wity Lyre design. 

(Origin)

Minstrel - Made by Concertina Connection in USA

Rochelle-2 - Made in China under instruction and supervision of Concertina Connection, shipped to customers from USA

(Reed)

Minstrel reeds sound and respond far better. One is able to control from pp to ff at ease.

Rochelle-2 sounds somewhat "mufflered" but Minstrel sounds good. 

You can choose Jeffries layout for Minstrel when placing an order. 

Reeds are screwed to reed pan horizontally on both models. 

(Bellows)

Very, very different. 6-fold Wakker bellows are as smooth as they should be from the day of purchase. 

7-fold Bellows that come with Rochelle-2 are decent, but I felt that air capacity difference between "compressed" and "stretched" is inferior to 6-fold bellows of Minstrel. 

(fretwork)

Fretwork of Minstrel is a beauty. You can enjoy the rivet action moving.  

Fretwork of Rochelle-2 is fancier that that of standard rochelle, but the area is limited to a minimum extent. 

(Type of wood)

Both of them are black (ebonized, do you call it?). 

I think the quality of Wood is quite different. 

Is there any other questions?

I would be glad to answer if I can. 

Totani 

707270EF-F6B7-4D5C-BB2F-76B3C36D4B59.jpeg

Edited by gtotani
added photos
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

I'm a beginner with a Rochelle 2. I've never played any other concertina. I find it "stiff," (but don't have anything to compare it to) and its difficult to go from push to pull easily and quickly. I very much like playing & practice about an hour a day. I know I'll upgrade eventually to the Minstrel. If it's a lot better in this regard, I'll upgrade sooner than later. Any input is very helpful!

On 3/11/2023 at 11:32 AM, Kaylinor said:

I'm a beginner with a Rochelle 2. I've never played any other concertina. I find it "stiff," (but don't have anything to compare it to) and its difficult to go from push to pull easily and quickly. I very much like playing & practice about an hour a day. I know I'll upgrade eventually to the Minstrel. If it's a lot better in this regard, I'll upgrade sooner than later. Any input is very helpful!

Hello, 

Thanks for your interest in my review. 
You are lucky that Wim Wakker offers a trade-in program for upgrade with full purchase price!

I have no experience with standard bellows of Minstrel, but you cannot go wrong with Wakker bellows upgrade.

One thing you have to have in mind is there is no trade-in path from Minstrel to Clover (or Clover plus). If you can afford, Clover might be a better choice. If you decide to buy a Minstrel, Wakker bellows upgrade is highly recommended. My Minstrel (with Wakker bellows) has been with me nearly 5 years and still makes me happy. I have no idea of letting it go.

I hope this information helps.

Totani