Change Of Heart Regarding Vintage

A while back, I was writing about how I've sworn off vintage instruments, but you all said...well you know what you said. Well it really made me think, and long story short, I'm now the owner of a Lachenal from Chris Alger. It's quite a bit smaller than my Stagi; is that because of the larger reeds in the Stagi?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You Rascal you! Well, enjoy. So fess' up... what's it like, rosewood ends bone buttons or a New Model, maybe metal ends. What kind of reeds? Brass or steel. How many folds...come on. Details man, details. :) Oh, and how does it sound and the action. A full review. That's the least you owe us after that dust-up awhile back :blink: .

A while back, I was writing about how I've sworn off vintage instruments, but you all said...well you know what you said.  Well it really made me think, and long story short, I'm now the owner of a Lachenal from Chris Alger.

Oh, my! Can it be long before you tell us you've joined a "classical" orchestra?!! :o

You Rascal you!  Well, enjoy.  So fess' up... what's it like, rosewood ends bone buttons or a New Model, maybe metal ends.  What kind of reeds?  Brass or steel.  How many folds...come on.  Details man, details. :)  Oh, and how does it sound and the action.  A full review.  That's the least you owe us after that dust-up awhile back :blink: .

Rosewood ends, metal buttons, brass reeds, green 5-fold bellows with fancy paper. The action is very nice: no loose buttons that get stuck if you push too far (like my Stagi), consistent button push, smooth even tone...uhh...what else should a review discuss?

It's tone.....the voice of the instrument! You discribe a very nice concertina. Was always fond of the victorian green bellows and fancy papers. It's age... by your discription I'm gonna guess well before WWI. Methinks you'll be given great service and enjoyment. A Heartfelt Bravo Jeff!

Edited by Mark Evans

So where do I find the serial number? It's not on the left side as I would expect. Reed pan?

I'm not good at describing tone, particularly in this case as I've only played two concertinas in my life. But okay...it's more full-bodied than the Stagi, and crisper. I think it's tuned a lot better than the Stagi, because chords really sound great. You can feel this instrument playing as much as hear it. You know how playing 5ths makes it vibrate that special way that you can feel in your hands. This thing has that feeling all the time.

I was surprised to see that there's no air button. I'll have to start being conscious of where the bellows are toward the end of a tune.

I am a total beginner (started on a Jackie about 3 months ago). I quickly felt 'hooked' and decided to upgrade sooner rather than later.

After asking for some advice on this forum, I too was recommended to visit Chris Alger, which I did about a month ago. He was so helpful and I very proudly came away with a Wheatstone. :) It's a lovely instrument and I am really enjoying playing it, although I doubt I will ever be worthy of it!!!

Many thanks to those who recommended Chris.

and I'll gladly deal with him again should insanity embrace me in her cold, bitter arms and tell me to buy another concertina.

Matter of time, old son, matter of time.

Apart from the fact that it has brass reeds and mine had steel, it sounds the spit-and-image of my first concertina. Brass reeds are slower to speak but they can have a real beauty of tone, and the rosewood-ended Laches are sweet to start with. It may seem premature to offer this advice, but when insanity etc etc and you buy your next concertina, try and hang on to this one. If you sell it you'll regret it! I did.

Cheers,

Chris

Congratulations, Jeff, you poor devil!! Now you are hooked like the rest of us!

Time to start working on your recalcitrent compatriot, Rellcollect. I know he can eventually be bent to the vintage side of the concertina force!

(Heavy bellows breathing in the background)

I salute you!

Greg

[

undefinedTime to start working on your recalcitrent compatriot, Rellcollect. I know he can eventually be bent to the vintage side of the concertina force!

I'll never embrace the dark side as Darth Stallard has! :ph34r:

(Closest smiley to Vader's mask)

Greg