Anyone recognise this one?

Leaving aside the engraving round the edges, which I guess could have been added at any time, would anyone care to hazard a guess at the maker of this concertina? 

It's a 36-button Anglo, with Lachenal-style green white and gold papers, and gold-tooled bellows ends... but I don't recognise the fretwork as Lachenal. It has some distinctive little features (circled) that I'm sure I've seen somewhere before, but I'm damned if I remember where!

20211009_172940.png

1 hour ago, Stephen Chambers said:

I think somebody has probably made new ends for it.

True, the edges are suspiciously un-stepped, but it's far from being a home-made horror. I'd be a happy man if I could muster this kind of skill and fluency with a scrollsaw!

9 hours ago, david robertson said:

True, the edges are suspiciously un-stepped, but it's far from being a home-made horror. I'd be a happy man if I could muster this kind of skill and fluency with a scrollsaw!

Well fret-cutting did use to be a hobby for some people...

Otherwise, could it be a very early example of a metal-ended Lachenal - what's the serial number?

Having said that the engraving could have been done at any time - which of course it could - it appears to be of Maidenhair & A.N. Other fern leaf and well done.  Fern's being an 'obsession' of the Victorians, from the 1860's onwards, so quite possibly contemporary with the build ?

Thank you all for your suggestions. I do realise that a serial number and a view of the internals would be helpful, but the instrument currently resides with an auction house in Lewes. I'll call them and see if they'll send me some more pictures.

The plot thickens! The auctioneer describes the pivots as looking like the staples he uses for attaching wire to fence-posts! Did Lachenal ever use staples rather than slotted plates?

Tomorrow he's going to bring a screwdriver to work, and we'll play hunt the serial number!

1 hour ago, Stephen Chambers said:

They seem to have used a better grade of bone, that wasn't rough and pitted, on ones like this.

I guess! To go 100+ years and look like perfect pieces of plastic. ( and I mean plastic in a good way, as in perfect), no pits and uniformity in color. Must have taken a ton of work in sanding and filling and finishing.