Lachenal & Co. closure and Crabb connection.

Geoffrey Crabb

As always very interesting Geoff. 

I like the bit at the end "Their ages at closure does seem to support Tommy Williams quote, 'it was because most of the staff were getting to be very old', if we consider that this was the impression Tommy may have had as a much younger man at that time."

Yes. I hope I too have not accidentally offended too many people by thinking or saying things in a similar way over the years!

Edited by Jake Middleton-Metcalfe

Mr. Crabb wrote, "What follows is my findings and in no way is to be considered an academic paper"

Well, I'm a one-time academic historian, and I'd say this is damn good research, clearly laid out.

It's also a nice picture into the scale and family nature of this major concertina maker. Which raises the question, should we think of Lachenal as only a somewhat larger enterprise than that of the Crabb family?

Geoff - what a fantastic bit of research, so much appreciated.

Just wondering if anyone has contacted any descendants for additional family or company history? Who knows what some of them might have tucked away in an attic somewhere...

Gary

9 hours ago, gcoover said:

Just wondering if anyone has contacted any descendants for additional family or company history? Who knows what some of them might have tucked away in an attic somewhere...

I suspect Randall Merris has already done this - although that doesn't mean we shouldn't keep trying. Randy has copies of two Ballinger photos (Richard, as mentioned in Geoff's article and George Arthur, who was working for Lachenal by 1911), and one of Frederick Robert Saunders (also in Geoff's article). The copies of the photos were made over a decade ago, and there may be even more when I search his archive more fully.

Geoff Crabb and I have already exchanged emails, as Randy and I have written an article covering the same material  (well, 98% Randy, 2% me) which goes a bit deeper and should emerge on the Concertina Journal website sometime soon. Great minds thinking alike?

But congratulations to Geoff on a superb bit of research!!