Metronomes?

seanc

. I am in search of a new metronome. I currently have a korg mm-30, it is digital. About the size of a credit card. Works well. But. I hate it.

the digital tone is just annoying. And the squishy buttons are a chore to deal with.

I am not against digital at all. I like the ability to easily dial in a specific bpm. And to increase/ decrease by definite increments. And also have the ability to do different times, 5/4 or 7/4. Or dotted 8th.

hut looking for something that has more of an analog tick/ click.

is there one that anybody out there really likes? I am leaning towards the korg kdm3 or maybe the Wittner piccolo.( I understand it lacks any of the digital type features) but no batteries…

If you have a smartphone, there are dozens of metronome apps out there. Many are free, all are inexpensive, and some must have the sound you’re looking for (a digital recording of an analog sound, if not an analog sound). The one I have (Tempo, on an iPhone) sounds like a wooden xylophone.

I have really been trying to use it consistently.
and I think it is helping.

I have found that it is a vital enough piece of hardware for me to have as a Stand alone piece, 

I did try a few of the free apps for iPhone, but none have been as quick and easy to use as the korg I have. It could just be familiarity. If nothing else being able to hit a stop button without having to unlock the iPad/ phone due to screen makes it worthwhile.

23 minutes ago, seanc said:

if nothing else being able to hit a stop button without having to unlock the iPad/ phone due to screen makes it worthwhile.

Why do you have "to unlock the iPad/ phone due to screen"? The apps I use have options that disable the screen lock. Some apps call it "Screen Always On" (that has to be turned on), some call it "Auto Lock" (that has to be turn off).