Bachelor of Music on free reeds?

Bill N

I apologize for the lack of concertina content, but the members of this forum are a font of knowledge!  A young friend would like to study music composition at the university level.  Her instrument of choice is the piano accordion, which she has played since she was a little girl, and is very accomplished on.  Is anyone aware of any North American (preferably Canadian) universities that will allow non-traditional instruments?  

I don't know too much about North American institutions, but I hold a BA in Music from a UK university with the Anglo concertina as my main instrument. 

In my application process, although I could see no universities directly advertising spaces for concertina players, I found that most of the universities I contacted were open to the idea. I think you might find something similar with North American Universities- if you contact a selection of institutions, you may find that many of them are open to the idea of taking on a skilled accordionist.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for the responses.  I will pass them on.  In my own researches I have discovered that the University of Toronto offers graduate level studies in PA.  Most excitingly, the University of Victoria, BC has developed a whole undergraduate programme, with scholarships available, under the tutelage of internationally renowned composer and performer Jelena Milojević.

I have a BA in music with classical guitar as my main instrument. At the time, my university did not have a professor of guitar. As a result, all the classical guitarists studied with professors from other nearby universities or teachers unaffiliated with universities. The unaffiliated teachers were acceptable if the university considered them to be of approximately the same level as the professors who taught the other instruments. Show Toronto or Victoria don't work out for some reason, other universities might be possibilities. Above, jduray mentioned Joan Cochran Sommers. She is professor emerita at the University of Missouri Kansas City. She may know of universities that would welcome a PA accordion student. Search for her name + accordion and you will find her email address.