Wren Concertina (To Buy / UK)

klaatubarada

Hi all,

A friend of mine is interested in learning the concertina and I was wanting to surprise him with a birthday gift but prices are a tad higher than I'd anticipated. Is anyone selling a Wren 30 button concertina (or something similar)? Or can maybe point me towards a good starter concertina for a new learner?

Any pointers and tips are greatly appreciated!

Edited by klaatubarada

• klaatubarada changed the title to Wren Concertina (To Buy / UK)

Hi, Klaatubarada,

I do not mean to spoil your idea, but I think it would be better to let him choose his first concertina. 

Why not give him a tutor book instead of a concertina. 

For instance "Easy Anglo 1-2-3" by Gary Coover is a very good starter book. 

Totani

I wholeheartedly agree with @Totani.

I posted this on the other musical forum:

"I threatened my wife that if she bought musical instruments or woodworking tools as surprise gifts to me, I’d buy clothing as surprise gifts to her.

Works great."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, gtotani said:

"Absolute Beginners Concertina" by Mick Bramich is also a good starter...

You could also buy him a copy of "The Anglo-German Concertina: A Social History"

(2 vols.) by Dan Worrall. Even if he never lays a hand on a concertina, he will have

a damn' good read...😎

Buying a low(ish)-end concertina like the Wren sounds a little risky to me...

Edited by lachenal74693

Cheers for all the tips! I doubt his budget could stretch further than a Wren, and if that's at the low end of the quality scale, I might recommend he pick a different instrument that's a bit more budget friendly.

Thanks again for the pointers 👍

Edited by klaatubarada

2 hours ago, klaatubarada said:

Cheers for all the tips! I doubt his budget could stretch further than a Wren, and if that's at the low end of the quality scale, I might recommend he pick up something a bit more budget friendly.

Thanks again for the pointers 👍

Perhaps your friend can consider Rochelle by concertina connection.

Wren costs 465euros while Rochelle costs 439USD with 5year warranty and full price trade-in for upgrade. Though a bit bulky, I would say it is a reliable starter instrument. Concertina Connection often has pre-owned Rochelle which they check and sell at a lower price. 

Totani

I'll take "a vintage 20b at Barleycorn" over a Wren any day. With the former, I'd upgrade to a 30b within a year, and keep the 20b as a second concertina. With the latter, I'd be dying to upgrade within 6 month, and I'd not know what to do with the Wren, and meanwhile, I'd be always wondering whether the mistake was mine or was the concertina's.

Edited by pentaprism
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, papawemba said:

Buy a vintage 20b at Barleycorn ! He will be super happy.

Absolutement, mon general! As has been pointed out here on several occasions by folks far more

knowledgeable than myself, a 20-button Anglo is very versatile. I started with a vintage 20-button,

and knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have it any other way.

7 hours ago, pentaprism said:

I'll take "a vintage 20b at Barleycorn" over a Wren any day. With the former, I'd upgrade to a 30b within a year, and keep the 20b as a second concertina. With the latter, I'd be dying to upgrade within 6 month, and I'd not know what to do with the Wren, and meanwhile, I'd be always wondering whether the mistake was mine or was the concertina's.

I know of two folks who've bought a Wren in the last 18 months or so. One of them baled out and

bought a Marcus within about 9 months (not 6). A 'drop-out' rate of 50% is a little too high for my

taste. OK, it's a small sample, but it's still statistically significant.

5 hours ago, gtotani said:

Does Barleycorn sell any vintage 20b at the price of a Wren (or less)? 

I had a look just now. There are five 20-button Anglos (all C/G, Lachenal or Jones) in the price range

£400-£750. Two of them are £400 - less than a Wren.

I bought a cheap concertina in ~1970. It was so bad that I was discouraged and never touched a

concertina for more than 40 years - to my everlasting regret...

Edited by lachenal74693
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 11:54 PM, gtotani said:

Hi, Klaatubarada,

I do not mean to spoil your idea, but I think it would be better to let him choose his first concertina. 

Why not give him a tutor book instead of a concertina. 

Totani

And there are more kinds of concertina than just anglo.  Your friend might be happier with an English or a Duet.