No page-turning while learning!

Kind of on topic…

is there anything out there as far a an I pad or tablet that does a full page display? And is not ridiculously expensive?

I have moved most of my music to electronic format. But, shrinking to fit the page makes  it difficult for my aging eyes and constantly scrolling is a pain.

is there a solution out there that is in general use?

1 hour ago, David Barnert said:

I use a standard iPad. The page is only about 5.8” x 7.8” but the fact that it’s backlit more than makes up for the smaller size, and I find that I have no trouble reading even dense cello parts of string quartets.

I find the iPad to be useful. And do use it. But for me to get the print big enough to read means a lot of scrolling.

it looks like there are a bunch of 13” ebook readers that are probably the thing. But at $700 plus it is a lot of money. The dual page display gvido is made for just this. But at $1600, I could not justify that.

But my ageing eyes...  I get why people like various electronics, and I wouldn't whip out a long paper scroll at a session, ha ha... (don't go out much, either!).  But in my kitchen, given the distance where I sit to play my EC, nothing stands out as crisply and clearly as the large black print on white paper. And I don't want to stop playing to click any buttons (except on the concertina).

1 hour ago, gcoover said:

I don't know the details about the device, but a harpist friend of mine uses a foot pedal switch to turn music pages on her iPad.

I haven't used one, but I believe the gadgets are called "bluetooth page turners", e.g.

https://www.gear4music.com/orchestral/accessories/music-stands/bluetooth-page-turners

Two of my bandmates use the Pageflip devices, or lookalikes, and they're pretty slick. They really shine for sets with more than two tunes, because you don't have to spread papers way out, make special photocopies that combine the tunes in the set, or shuffle half sheets between three-hole pockets. Big tablets are still too spendy for me, and I don't like depending on battery-powered devices, but it's a good system.

I think the main thing that would stop me from using a scroll is that it seems like it would be awkward to do anything other than play the tunes in their predetermined order. Do you find that to be the case?

12 hours ago, Steve Schulteis said:

.....I think the main thing that would stop me from using a scroll is that it seems like it would be awkward to do anything other than play the tunes in their predetermined order. Do you find that to be the case?

But while learning the tunes, that's exactly what helps me -- I'm better off playing a set in an unchanging order. Then after fumbling along for a while (a week? a month?) I find one day I "suddenly" have the whole lot in my memory. And then as long as I can call one to mind, the rest will follow.

(Edit added) I mean I guess if you LIKE an iPad or electronic page turner or something, then i sound crazy. I admit, I usually am irritated by them for one reason or another.

Edited by bellowbelle
clarification

• 2 weeks later...

I have poor eyesight, and I use a relatively-inexpensive (compared with an I-pad) PC that will convert into large-screen tablet mode. 

I then use a cheap but excellent programme called MuseScore to hold the actual music.  Within MuseScore you can get rid of margins and "wasted" space and display the dots however you wish in terms of number of pages per display screen, mangnification, landscape/portrait etc. You can write text on the pages in MuseScore (e.g. play x3) and get it to scroll at whatever tempo you wish. Or scroll using a foot pedal. You can also store your music in "collections" , so something can be e.g. in "Mazurkas" and "French" and "played at so-and-so session" and "key of Bb" (although Key is a separate input term if you wish to enter it) The search function is fast enough to get the image of the dots up for the second-playthrough in a set if you can remember a critical word anywhere in the title  whenever someone starts to play a tune. 

Input as pdf or image. 

2 hours ago, Gail_Smith said:

I then use a cheap but excellent programme called MuseScore to hold the actual music

Shameless plug follows...

and you can make it play a quite acceptable concertina sound for play along practice.  See my signature below.

14 hours ago, Don Taylor said:

...and you can make it play a quite acceptable concertina sound for play along practice.  See my signature below.

I'm not a MuseScore user, but I can confirm that the 'sampled concertina sound font' to which Don

is referring is not bad at all - I experimented with it fairly completely ~4-5 years ago while deciding

whether to become a MuseScore user or an ABC user...

________

I wish that such a feature were available in ABC...

Edited by lachenal74693

4 hours ago, lachenal74693 said:

It was for many years, when BarFly was a viable (and the best!) option for using abc on a Mac. Unfortunately, for the last 10 years (since OS X 10.7 Lion) there has been no way to make BarFly compatible with Mac systems. Both the original version of the sound font and BarFly were created by Phil Taylor. Don Taylor (no relation) tuned up the sound font.

4 hours ago, lachenal74693 said:

I'm not a MuseScore user, but I can confirm that the 'sampled concertina sound font' to which Don

is referring is not bad at all - I experimented with it fairly completely ~4-5 years ago while deciding

whether to become a MuseScore user or an ABC user...

________

As an additional use case, I'd like to repeat that I have only recently (a few months ago) downloaded the font and put it to use in conjunction with FluidSynth as the PC side of my MIDI concertina experiments. It works like a charm and sounds very nice. Thanks again, Phil and Don!

Edited by RAc