Steve Martin, “Only Murders in the Building”

Just read a review of the program, “Only Murders in the Building” now streaming on Hulu and starring Steve Martin and Martin Short. The review, by Doreen St. Felix, appears in the current (September 27) issue of The New Yorker on page 89, and contains this excerpt:

A romance ensues between Martin's character and a bassoonist (Amy Ryan), presumably to give Martin, who plays the concertina, a chance to duet with his crush from the window. But he's a damn good musician.

We all knew SM played the banjo (and very well, too). Anybody knew he played the concertina? I haven’t seen any of the episodes yet. I tried googling “Steve Martin concertina” and dozens of video links came up, but it seems it's another Steve Martin.

• 2 weeks later...

In a Facebook forum, Lexie Boatright posted that her student Catriona Fee coached Martin how to mime playing and performed the music that is heard.

I’ve only seen a short clip of him playing in an advertisement—it wasn’t very convincing (his fingers didn’t move).

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 9:11 PM, Ethan Ham said:

In a Facebook forum, Lexie Boatright posted that her student Catriona Fee coached Martin how to mime playing and performed the music that is heard.

I’ve only seen a short clip of him playing in an advertisement—it wasn’t very convincing (his fingers didn’t move).

I was excited to see him with it, but I agree it didn't look like he was playing it more like ......Lip Sync......or maybe better Finger Sync...lol. Still I was excited to see him playing none the less.

On 10/5/2021 at 9:11 PM, Ethan Ham said:

I finally saw the episode today. I agree: If somebody is taking credit for teaching SM how to look like he’s playing a concertina, they didn’t do a very good job.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2021 at 5:03 AM, jh241d said:

in episode 3 of only murders Steve Martin plays the podcast intro (right after opening credits).

can anyone send the chords/tabs for that short rif?

I believe it's just alternating between a G minor and D major chord in first inversion, with a few lyrical notes added.

|:G   Bb+D  Bb+D:|  then |:F#   A+D   A+D:|  then back to |:G   Bb+D   Bb+D:|  followed by |D  Eb  D  C  Bb|  to  |:F#   A+D   A+D:|  again. 

Timestamp is 4:49 into episode 3 if you want to play along. Apologies for the terrible notation format. 

• 1 year later...
On 12/30/2021 at 5:03 AM, jh241d said:

in episode 3 of only murders Steve Martin plays the podcast intro (right after opening credits).

can anyone send the chords/tabs for that short rif?

(G, D, D)x4 (F#, D, D)x4 (G, D, D)x3 G, D, G, D, (F#, D, D)x3, F#, D, F#, D

or

G, D, D, G, D, D, G, D, D, G, D, D, F#, D, D, F#, D, D, F#, D, D, F#, D, D, G, D, D, G, D, D, G, D, D, G, D, G, D, F#, D, D, F#, D, D, F#, D, D, F#, D, F#, D

I haven’t figured out chords yet so I play another octave for D and G (ex: hold down buttons 2 and 5 on left hand middle row for G)

• Like 1