Soft Bag for Cycling?

SCDITT

Okay, so I've moved into student accommodation in a totally different town to where I was before. I'm half an hours walk from any place I could busk, but I have a bike. Where I was living before, I got a bus into the biggest town and walked two minutes to my pitch, but I'm IN town now.

Would it be demented to buy a softbag to carry it while on a bike - only a nine minute travel time - or would that damage it? I have a Tina Swift model...

(And I'm guessing it would be even worse to try and strap it to the back in the hardcase?)

SCDITT,

Tina Swift of the Irish Concertina Company  is more or less equivalent to McNeela Swan, isn't it?
I have an impression that It is rather a sturdy instrument. (I used to have a McNeela Swan)

It would not be a bad idea buy a gig bag (or soft bag) to carry your Tina Swift on your bike. 

If you can spend good amount of money, Fuselli sells a well-padded softbag for concertina. 
http://www.manifatturefuselli.com/AccordionBagsOther.aspx

A coolerbag for cans of beer could also work all right. 

I would not recommend putting a strap on a hardcase itself. 

The case doubles the weight and may end up breaking the strap or fittings, or, the case could open by accident when you carry on your bike. 

If I were to be on a bike, I would just put the hardcase in a backpack with tough straps.

Happy busking!

Totani

Edited by gtotani

7 hours ago, gtotani said:

If I were to be on a bike, I would just put the hardcase in a backpack with tough straps.

That's genius! Now I just need to make sure I have a bag big enough to get the box in, fairly sure my school bag would do... when I didn't have books in it!

I used to have a basic soft bag with my very first (super crap) concertina, but when I upgraded I passed it on to my dad and got the hardcase with it. It was always handy to sling over my shoulder, but by the time I started busking I'd already upgraded, thank god!

• Like 1

Mike Franch, I'm a broke college student, so no camera bags for me ^-^ !! Being the shock absorber is a great way of putting it - the jolt from being on a bike full on wouldn't be great for the innards...

That suggestion to put the whole thing into backpack was bloody brilliant! Slots into my schoolbag perfectly, with room for all my busking necessities.

Anyone else, feel free to add more suggestions for others like me coming down the line...

3 hours ago, Don Taylor said:

Check out you local thrift stores.  We just bought a newsed LowePro camera back pack for C$12.

Absolutely! I think I got my camera bag from Goodwill.

I agree with Dana about the limitations of soft bags. But I think that in many circumstances, they will  cushion a fall better than a hard case, which I think would be more likely to transfer the shock to the instrument.

And yes, do not, under any circumstances, crash your bike.

Edited by Mike Franch