Crabb English?

seanc

I just saw a 48b crabb English popped up at BB. Along with a 48 new model and a 56b brass read Aeola.

I am still still looking for that as fast a Wheatstone 22 but quieter.

I know condition, you have to play each one… 

but, thoughts? I have never seen or touched a crabb or a brass Aeola.

5 hours ago, seanc said:

but, thoughts? I have never seen or touched a crabb or a brass Aeola.

Concertina Museum have 2 Crabb Englishes (Ref:C326 and C327)

https://www.concertinamuseum.com/CM00326.htm

https://www.concertinamuseum.com/CM00327.htm

I also recall a large (9 inch across according to the description) twin reeded English with red bellows and straps made by Crabb was on ebay in 2011. I didn't bid on it but looked like specially made one.

Having looked  at  the  Button  Box    site  I  see  at  least  two  concertinas  suitable  for  your  needs  "  as fast as  a  Model  22  but  quieter"  The  48k  Rosewood  ended  New Model  and  the  Wheatstone  model  8  should  fit  the  bill.  

I  had  a very  good  New Model  as my  quieter  rocket  speed  machine  which lived in the double  case along side   my  Model  22  and it  was  just  as  fast  but with a very  special  tone  that  comes  with  the  New Model  design.

The  Model  8  will  have  the  same  gentler    tone  and  good  action I am  sure  as  my  current    wooden  Aeola  version of the model  8  .  

And then  the 'Brass' reeded ,  metal  ended TT.  This looks like a  'Tropicalized'  model  where  a  special    alloy  was used  for  the  reeds    to  prevent  corrosion  in  difficult  climates.  There  is  no  reason  why  this  will be any  slower  as the  reeds will be of  the  finest  quality.

I tried that model 8. That was there when I went to buy either the edeophone or Aeola that they had just sold before I got there.

overall. I thought it was nice. But, I did not find the action to be substantially improved from my 3E. And no where near the 22. 

7 hours ago, Geoff Wooff said:

I  had  a very  good  New Model  as my  quieter  rocket  speed  machine  which lived in the double  case along side   my  Model  22  and it  was  just  as  fast  but with a very  special  tone  that  comes  with  the  New Model  design.

New Model concertinas are great - I'm a big fan.

7 hours ago, Geoff Wooff said:

And then  the 'Brass' reeded ,  metal  ended TT.  This looks like a  'Tropicalized'  model  where  a  special    alloy  was used  for  the  reeds    to  prevent  corrosion  in  difficult  climates.  There  is  no  reason  why  this  will be any  slower  as the  reeds will be of  the  finest  quality.

I have a Wheatstone Aeola TT which I rebuilt from a box of bits and made new ends for - this has terrific 'brass' reeds - however they don't take a lot of hard playing before needing to be touch-tuned.  I use this 'tina mostly for song accompaniment.

Edited by SteveS

Just now, fred v said:

I am not familiar with the numbers you guys are talking about (8, 22, new model). Where can I find info on them and time period of when they were made?

Fred V

Wheatstone price lists are here

Wheatstone English Concertina Pricelists

Wheatstone model numbers can be found in the price lists.

Lachenal New Model - Lachenal price lists here

Lachenal Concertina Pricelists

Edited by SteveS

34 minutes ago, SteveS said:

Wheatstone price lists are here

Wheatstone English Concertina Pricelists

Wheatstone model numbers can be found in the price lists.

Thank you Steve, your post is paving my way to pointing out that the "model 8" as advertised by The Button Box does actually not appear to be one - at least not a typical example, as it would have raised ends then (just like the one I own myself).

All the best - 🐺

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

Thank you Steve, your post is paving my way to pointing out that the "model 8" as advertised by The Button Box does actually not appear to be one - at least not a typical example, as it would have raised ends then (just like the one I own myself).

All the best - 🐺

They look raised to me, but the raise is less-pronounced on early examples like that one (#24204), or my 1910 No. 6 "Special" (#25100).

Edited by Stephen Chambers
Edited to add link

20 hours ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

All the best - 🐺

The Button box description is correct. This is a no 8 if you look at the light patterns in the polish it is clearly a 56k raised ebony ended instrument is a model number 8.

On 9/1/2021 at 7:15 PM, Stephen Chambers said:

They look raised to me, but the raise is less-pronounced on early examples like that one (#24204), or my 1910 No. 6 "Special" (#25100).

My post was not accurate as the concertina I own (and frequently play) is a model 6, raised as your "early" example, but much later, i.e. from 1921 (and quite "special" as well).

And ok, the model 8 on the bb page is described as having raised ends, but I couldn't tell from the pic.

All the best - 🐺  

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

went to BB today, the Crabb there was excellent, I would judge it as at least on par with my 22. Action was excellent. Very light. Very fast. And volume was loud and tone was very crisp and clear. 

I was very impressed with it. Had I not been looking for something that was fast but quiet. I would have taken it home.