Wanted Aeola, new model, edeophone in New England area

seanc

I know this may be a long shot, but throwing it out there.

looking for an Aeola, New Model, possibly Edeophone. If possible, I’m looking for a local transaction. In Worcester area willing to take a ride.

Have $$.  Or if interested a 50s era Wheatstone 3E that I can use in a trade + cash your way.

prefer something that does not need work. But depending on what you have possibly open to something that just needs a bit of tweaking.

On 8/3/2021 at 5:26 AM, Wolf Molkentin said:

How about a good model 6? (mine is not for sale 🙂)

model 6.JPEG

Is that as fast as a 22? I have 50s 3E and a new model crane. But they are just Fords to Ferrari difference.

I’d be willing to consider it. 

In my opinion you can't easily top a good ebony ended Aeola - if you find one!?! Chris Algar usually has a few. I have one out for restoration ( in Britain ) and possible sale... I used a Wheatstone Boyd for many years ( even louder than my M22s ), but eventually switched to an EE Aeola for a softer sound. It has a wider dynamic range and more "body" to the sound while still being quite loud, if required.

However individual instruments vary a lot. So make sure to test before buying such an expensive thing... 

PS: I always "tuned" my main instruments by reducing the spring-pressure to make them really fast...

Edited by conzertino

On 8/4/2021 at 8:12 PM, seanc said:

Is that as fast as a 22? I have 50s 3E and a new model crane. But they are just Fords to Ferrari difference.

I’d be willing to consider it. 

not much difference IMO, and my model 6 even has brass reeds - it‘s incredibly light, and well-made - it would have to be a particularly good specimen I guess - but you‘d always have to try an instrument before making your decision (not that I always acted accordingly though 😎).

I have a mint Model 6 Wheatstone treble English for sale, fully restored with new longer bellows by Wim Wakker of Concertina Connection.  Really better than new.

See http://sdean.net/Concertina/Concertinas4Sale.html

I also have a soprano (transposes up an octave) Edeophone up for sale there

As for Aeolas....Once upon a time in the late '90's, after I had gone as fas as I could go with a student model Lachenal, I went looking for a Wheatstone.  This was before Ebay or all that much of the Internet that we now take for granted as a source for finding tinas.  After much difficulty, someone suggested I contact the Sally Ann.  Long story short, was allowed to post an add in three of the SA 😁 house organs and it darned near rained concertinas.  They were instruments with history and loved remembrance of those that had played them (for entertainment and SA hymn backup).  Almost all needed work and were pretty much just given to me.  I would pass them to the Button Box for repair, get them back, try them to see if they were better than what I had, and, if not, would pass them back to the BBx and they would sell them.  Everybody was happy.  The SA folk (real walking as well as talking Christians, decent to the bone) were happy: the instruments were from relatives 'Gone to Glory' (as the SAs have it) and now in the possession of elderly relatives who wanted the instruments to live again...and not end up in the dumpster when they died.  The BBx was delighted to get a source of quality instruments...and I got lovely instruments....Aeolas, Edeophones, regular model Lachenal and Wheatstone, extended range and transposing tina.  The Aeolas were beautiful with clean sound, but to me, the timbre wasn't anything special, and they were heavy.  For a while I even had a 64 key Aeola whose low end turned out to finger bass clef as if it were treble (except that the sharps and flats weren't on the same lines).  I ended up with:

• a lovely Model 6 Wheatstone treble (from a woman in her 70s who, as a child, had sat on the case to see out the car window going to SA picnics).
  • a gorgeous baritone Edeophone, relatively quick with a rich lower register

All in all, the Edeophones often had a richer timbre than the Aeolas....though both roll off a table much too easily!  For most playing, I find a Model 6 treble Wheatstone to be as good or better than an Aeola.  My 2 cents.

Some years back, I had a chance to buy another Model 6 and did.  Due to constrained fixed income in retirement, I am selling it. They can be gems...and both ones I have are.

0A7A2961 (Medium).JPG

Catalog listing (Medium).jpg

Edited by Stewart Dean