note plays all the time:cause?

I'm working on a 30 button Lachenal, and I can't figure out what's causing a note to play all the time only on the push, while it's well behaved on the pull. Pad appears to cover hole well, -valves in place. What should I be looking for here that I'm not seeing or understanding? Thanks!

2 hours ago, Bill N said:

Maybe a weak spring is letting the pad lift on the push?

Sounds like the most likely explanation to me (in fact, I can’t think of any other). When I first saw the thread title that didn’t mention the fact that it’s only on the push, I thought it’s probably something wedged under a pad, holding it open, but given the directionality, that’s clearly not it.

I have had the situation where the lever arm is being depressed by the underside of the end. probably caused by a slight warp in the wood or the pivot /arm being too high. This caused the pad to be slightly open when the end is closed. but appears OK when the end is removed.

A tweak of the arm has cured the problem.

1 hour ago, Rod Pearce said:

I have had the situation where the lever arm is being depressed by the underside of the end. probably caused by a slight warp in the wood or the pivot /arm being too high. This caused the pad to be slightly open when the end is closed. but appears OK when the end is removed.

A tweak of the arm has cured the problem.

This,  which can also be caused by something raised on the inside of the end plate: lump of glue, projecting screw etc.

weak spring is the first thing to eliminate, also check that nothing is catching around the pad. Check also key height is even with those around it, but the spring is most likely culprit.