Anglo Herrington classic 30b C/G

Gregor Markič

Earlier this year I bought a concertina in this forum:

It's a very well made fast player ...
I am only selling it because I bought a far more expensive concertina.
This was my first non-hybrid concertina and after playing different instruments I can tell it has an exquisite outstanding sound.

State is like new.
Featuring : 

- Stainless steel end plates 
- Action riveted
- 6 fold leather bellows with decorative papers
- Reeds Tipo A-Mano Voci Armonichie Italian made steel reeds
- Wheatstone Layout
- Solid box

Concertina is sent from Slovenia, I am asking 1500 euros + sending costs (EU = 40€)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wEYnneN1psxvCHow9

IMG_20210720_081831.jpg

IMG_20210720_081840.jpg

IMG_20210720_081854.jpg

IMG_20210720_081907.jpg

IMG_20210720_081911.jpg

IMG_20210720_081918.jpg

IMG_20210720_081933.jpg

IMG_20210720_081938.jpg

Edited by Gregor Markič

"This was my first non-hybrid concertina..."

I don't want to stomp on your thread, but your Herrington is indeed a hybrid (although a very high-quality one).  It uses superior accordion style reeds rather than individual, traditional concertina reeds.

Still, a very nice instrument and a very fair price.

Edited by Bill N
typo
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bill N said:

"This was my first non-hybrid concertina..."

I don't want to stomp on your thread, but your Herrington is indeed a hybrid (although a very high-quality one).  It uses superior accordion style reeds rather than individual, traditional concertina reeds.

Still, a very nice instrument and a very fair price.

I'm sorry to hear that. You see, I gave it reviewed to my friends in musical instruments workshop:

https://www.melodija.si/servis

... and they told me the reeds were "single" not "double". Now I know not what to think (not having skills to open it and see for myself) I only know that the sound of this concertina is well above anything I've heard until today.

Edited by Gregor Markič

13 minutes ago, Gregor Markič said:

... and they told me the reeds were "single" not "double".

They are probably not referring to whether a pair of reeds share a single shoe/plate, but rather the number of reeds that sound at once when you press a single button. It is typical for accordions to have more than one reed play for each button in order to produce a richer/different sound. It is unusual for concertinas to have this feature, regardless of whether they are traditional or hybrid.

The post for the previous sale that you linked to shows the reeds, and this is definitely a hybrid instrument. Nothing wrong with that, though. Don't get too hung up on hybrid versus traditional reeds. If you (and your audience) like the sound and response of your instrument, that's all that really matters. I agree with Bill N that this looks to be a nice instrument at a great price. Best of luck!

• Thanks 1