Wheatstone Prices?

Just saw a 1963 Wheatstone English 48 key up on Ebay... asking $2500.00.  The metal grill is tarnished, one button is sunken, the bellows leather need some attention. What might it cost to restore? What would it be worth then? I doubt it will sell at the asking price. Just curious....  I'm sending my 1927 English off for service Monday. It's already in better shape than the one up for sale.

Edited by Everett
spelling

Some  would  say  there  is  usually  no  comparison  between  a  1963  Wheatstone  and  its  1927  cousin.  Of  course  exceptions  do  exist  but  in a blind test  my  money  would always  be  on the  1927.  If  you had  to  pay  $2500  to  buy  the  1963 model  and  spend  money  on a  full  restoration  your  equity  is  sure to  be  negative.  I  have  just  spent  €800  on a new bellows, including  postage, but  it  is  for  a  1929  Aeola  which  is  playing-in  very  nicely  now. I  was a little concerned  about spending  so much  on a  bellows for  a concertina  that  was  unplayable  but  faith  is  proving  itself.

eBay sellers can be very very unrealistic about prices.  This one sound seriously overpriced. Much better to buy from somebody who understands what they are selling

I certainly know $2500 for any Wheatstone that needs repair is a gamble at best and the 1963 for sale may fall further onto the gamble scale. The owner of the '63 should at least have sent it to a good shop for a repair estimate before putting it up. There is also a 1907 ebony model 6 for sale...fully restored and priced at $4500. That seems like a fair retail price, but not a bargain. I see so many instruments up for sale on Ebay that need extensive repair and I have purchased a couple over the years...from such comes an education.

16 hours ago, Everett said:

There is also a 1907 ebony model 6 for sale...fully restored and priced at $4500. That seems like a fair retail price, but not a bargain. I see so many instruments up for sale on Ebay that need extensive repair and I have purchased a couple over the years...from such comes an education.

That  is  still  far too much  money.  The  Button Box  have  a  nice model 8  , fully  restored  for  a $1000  cheaper  and  comes with a  garantee!  

Good  hunting.