Anglo Lessons in the Netherlands?

In case someone needs a kick in the butt to get going:

As experienced fiddler-melodeon-guitar teacher i picked anglo up a while ago after my English Crabb got stolen, i can help you get started?

-------

Realize two important things for making music in general:

Where most beginners fail at, is learning to really play by ear.

An Irish farmer-fiddler said to me in his local Sligo pub: You cannot play any tune properly if you cannot lilt it first.

Next BIG thing is don't get a brain fixation with reading tabs, notes, what ever. Written music makes perfect toilet paper when shove comes to push. It has nothing to do with playing real music. This is also where ALL classically trained violinists fail in learning to play a decent fiddle.

Once you have a tune figured out, throw away the books and listen to what you do. Use your brain's memory instead for the musical fixes probably needed.

Especially learn to hear the things you do that don't sound 'right'. If they do and differ from the written notes? Hurray, you now are a musician ...

-------------------

Tip i learned years a go: do something else at the same time while practicing like watching football, telling a joke, what ever.

With any stage performance you'll need to order at least a beer from that nice waitress, or shoot the sound engineer while having your solo. 

Play with friends, to get rid of the oops, wrong note and an excuse to stop playing, and force yourself to play out the whole tune completely with all the mistakes.

Call it your own version?  Soulful music comes by playing from the heart (as in: it's a mental thing).

Stephan Grapelli said once: if you make a mistake, do it again, and every one thinks it's the right way.

Happy Squeezing.

Edited by fiddler2007

50 minutes ago, fiddler2007 said:

-------------------

Tip i learned years a go: do something else at the same time while practicing like watching football, telling a joke, what ever.

Or just close your eyes; amazing how your fingers can find the "right" notes without them!

I agree wholeheartedly. While I do read music, I can pick up a tune on most instruments and learn it faster if I do it by ear. I am a very new beginner and I don’t know of anyone in my region that plays, so along with YouTube and my two ears, I’m catching on - albeit slowly.