Older Hohner

I’m very much a newcomer to the concertina world. I play a lot of different instruments (but none particularly well.) My brother-in-law gifted me a used Hohner concertina several years back. It has it’s original box. It is stamped on the box sticker  Hohner D20/40/100. There is a serial number on the label on the label but it is pretty much faded out. It has a small plate on the left hand face of the instrument that says Made in German Democratic Republic ( so not Chinese made.)

It’s a so-so instrument to play but never having played another I have no comparison. I’m trying to teach myself to play and if I get the hang of it, I probably will upgrade to something better.

Does anyone have any information on this model?

• 2 months later...

Hello, I have just purchased the same model the last week using a second hand online spanish platform, wallapop.

I bought it from a circus and theater family. She bought it in the 80s and she toured with it for twenty years along the world. 

I find it a good instrument for its price, playing reasonably well for its age and for its quality.

As you say it was made before the instruments production moved to the China, etc.

Surely other members can you give more information.  

• 3 months later...

Here I am as new member seeing your enquiry from 2021, regarding Hohner Concertinas. That word seems to be a very controversial subject for many people; but not me actually because I have owned a hohner concertina for over 23 years now [30 key Anglo] with nickel metal face plate [steel reeds].. I think I may have managed to get mine just before they outsourced work to China. [1999 purchased but could have been in warehouse long before I got it].

They can, despite a lot of bad press, be good instruments, and have strong powerful tone too!

You need to sometimes work on them and use them to allow the mechanism to free up at first; but if you persevere you will be pleasantly surprised as to how good they can be.  Some purists may be rather unconvinced by that view; but I have had my Hohner brand Anglo for 23 years this year [2022] and its going fine, and is played every day! The sound is mellow, powerful, and the action of buttons smooth; they can slip on the lever very occasionally, but how many other makes will need maintenance  anyway in their lifetime?  Quite a few others makes I will bet?

My own instrument gets very well cared for, with its brown leather bellows, light mahogany veneered frame, and is played every day, I have few maintenance issues anymore; and besides, its easy to maintain yourself if you are careful, or need to.

Go ahead and enjoy your Anglo [HOHNER] concertina; and spread the word that many of them are actually good sounding  instruments!

Photo attached is of me playing my hohner Anglo concertina! 

me and concertina april 2019 vid still vignettev.png