Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Stallard

I Reached A Music Milestone!

I know no one cares, but I had to tell SOMEONE, and since none of my friends even know what a concertina is, let alone play music themselves, you people are it.

Before I discovered the concertina, I played the violin and then the mandolin, and there was one song ("Meditation" by Massinet) that I was never able to grasp even after eight years of playing (4 w/ violin, 4 w/ mandolin). Well I'm very happy to announce that, after only six months playing the concertina, I am able to play that entire damn song!! It's sloppy, but it's there. If that's not proof that the concertina is my ideal instrument, I don't know what is. Yes, I know those eight years gave me a boost up when I started the concertina, but there's something about this little squeezebox that fits me like a glove.

Good for you, Jeff!

You can celebrate your achievements here mate, we are all in varying stages of learning.

Derek

edited for typos (how can you make so many mistakes in two lines?)

Edited by bigsqueezergeezer

Enjoy the adventure!

On with the journey!

Greg

Congrats, Jeff! I'm still memorising note/button correlation, and hope to someday be where you are now! May things become easier for you from here!

Greg

Congrats, Jeff!  I'm still memorising note/button correlation, and hope to someday be where you are now!  May things become easier for you from here!

Greg

Thanks. Maybe it was just a good day, and tonight I will have relapsed into a state of total ignorance, but I sure hope not.

Congratulations. :) :) I really love that piece of music. I took up the English concertina about 3 months ago and am loving it. Perhaps one day I too will be able to play Meditation ...

It spans nearly 3.5 octaves, so you need a 48 button model to play it, or the second part anyway. I've seen the first part dropped to a lower key, but if you do that with the second part you'll lose the bottom notes.

I fell in love with that song the first time I heard it, but it took me a year of off-and-on research to track down the name of it.

Congrats, Jeff.

I am so happy for you. And glad you found a forum in which to exalt your great accomplishment.

Yippee.

Helen :)