Query re Mark Lloyd-Adey service

Can anyone confirm whether Mark is still supplying spares? I ordered and paid upfront for anglo straps and D rings back on 16th May and got an auto 'Order confirmed' acknowledgement.  However a month or so on, no communication or sign of a delivery.  I'm needing the straps to properly fulfil a professional booking + rehearsals starting as soon as lock-down ends.  Any thoughts, please.  Hoping it's a glitch.

I second that. It would be good to have low expectations on delivery time, but he will come through eventually. Sometimes, for various legitimate reasons, I have waited a long time. Once due to customs and recently many months for straps as he had to wait on leather supply (along with the rest of the world supply chain lately). He also responds to email, and it is worth following up via phone or email since you haven't heard from him yet to make sure your order didn't fall through the cracks.

Thanks folks. I have sent an email, so I'll hang on for a while for a reply before getting on the 'phone.  I do appreciate that supply problems can dog people's best efforts to get on top of orders and try to be patient.  In the meantime, I've cobbled a set of straps from an old leather belt - they dig in rather painfully behind my 1st finger knuckles, but they'll 'do' for now as long as I don't play for too many minutes at a time.  They won't help come rehearsal time, however!

Doodle

I assume you need Anglo straps?

If so, I have a couple of new sets installed on instruments that are currently sitting on a shelf. I won't be parting with them .

They came from Mark a year or so back and have hardly been used, The straps are Design no 1 on Mark's website. I may also have a set of D rings, but I would need to check.

I am willing to remove a set and lend it to you until yours come through, at which point you can return it. It may take a few days to organise, though

If that's of interest send me a PM

Rod

You also may be able to tidy up the belt leather to be fairly comfortable. Mark's straps are comfy and nice looking (especially with the bells and whistles like gold tooling). But for functionality, you can probably get pretty far by cutting the straps to the shape you are aiming for, slightly oversized, and then sand down any sharp edges to create a bit of a bevel.

Thanks Rod for your very generous offer, that's exceptionally kind of you, but  I shall follow JD's advice for now, tho,' and sand the edges and see how it goes. The belt was black and fairly close to 3mm thick, I cut it to the pattern of the old straps and it is the leather's stiffness that is also the problem, so I'll spend time wriggling it around to try to induce some suppleness, I hope!  I had a call from the project coordinator today to say that rehearsals start next Tuesday (23 new songs), so I'm stuck with this for now.  Hoping Mark replies soon, as I've two red and slightly swollen knuckles already! Hey Ho!

Edited by doodle

All's well!   I hate to pester our hard-working fettlers, but I took your advice, JD and gave Mark a phone call on Friday and there had been a slip-up and my order had been over-looked. So Monday morning brought the 'full-fat', 3mm, gold-tooled and felt-lined straps to my letter box.  That's great service and just in time for tomorrow's rehearsal.  The straps are superb quality and immediately comfortable - and of course a perfect fit. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/28/2021 at 7:09 AM, doodle said:

All's well!   I hate to pester our hard-working fettlers, but I took your advice, JD and gave Mark a phone call on Friday and there had been a slip-up and my order had been over-looked. So Monday morning brought the 'full-fat', 3mm, gold-tooled and felt-lined straps to my letter box.  That's great service and just in time for tomorrow's rehearsal.  The straps are superb quality and immediately comfortable - and of course a perfect fit. 

Great to hear!