The Return Of The Crabb

Having read Roger's article, plus having met Geoff some time ago and benefitted from his experience, I would like to register my complements to him on making this instrument. Also on the design developments, and the evident craftsmanship he has put into this his first recent instrument. I would also like to express my thanks for his help in the past.

Please read Roger's article (thanks Roger) and, even if its not an English pattern, get behind me in my wish to hold and examine such a fine looking instrument!

congratulations Geoff!

Dave E

Yes indeed. Lovely. Thanks for drawing mt attention to the article, as I sometimes forget to look at the site's front page.

Colin Dipper also gives his anglos higher hand rests than normal, and I would agree with Roger on the improvement they give.

Chris

I too enjoyed Roger's article. The very first EC I saw and was allowed to play was a new metal ended Crabb (78'). It was an epihanal moment in my life. My hope is that Mr. Crabb will continue to pratice the family art at whatever level he wishes.

A beautiful new English would bring a lovely balance to our world. :)

Looks very nice. I'm glad Geoff "can still do it." I like the innovation of turning the reed pan 60 degrees to make the lever lengths more uniform.

One question. Forgive my ignorance/unfamiliarity with the construction details of earlier Crabb concertinas. The reed shoes appear to be rectangular, rather than the tapered shape I'm familiar with in my Wheatstone, which facilitates sliding them in and out of the dovetail joints in the wooden reed pan. How are these reed shoes fastened to the reed pan?

I asked Geoff a few questions a few months ago about it and he replied including the following:-

"The reeds are mounted traditionally, what is different is the shape of the reed frames. Heavily tapered frames in parallel chambered instruments were only used because they were available due to the necessary use in radial English concertinas. When the Anglo appeared with parallel chambers it was the cheapest option to use the reeds produced by the existing press tools."

I hope he forgives me for restating his words.

Pete

Having read Roger's article,...

And I thought, "Eh? What article? Where?"

A search of the Forums turned up nothing. (On the other hand, searching on "Digby" didn't even turn up this Topic.)

I also tried using Google to search, but only found Roger's old article on the Crabbs.

Thanks for drawing my attention to the article, as I sometimes forget to look at the site's front page.

Ah, now there's a hint.

So I went to the non-Forum main page of Concertina.net, and I found this.

Yes, it is a fine article, and it's very encouraging that Geoff is getting back into the business. If I can improve my finances, I'm sure I'll be asking him for a special Crane duet. :)

Edited to add: I may have jumped to a conclusion here.

Chris T. responded

I may be wrong here, but my understanding is that to say that Geoff is "getting back into the business" would be overstating the case. I certainly wouldn't send orders in his direction unless he openly says that he is inviting them.

So it may be more appropriate for me to say that I hope he is getting back into the business.

[Meanwhile, I've just caused two posts to be quoting each other. Maybe I should send a special notice to Douglas Hofstadter? :unsure:]

Edited by JimLucas

Yes, it is a fine article, and it's very encouraging that Geoff is getting back into the business.  If I can improve my finances, I'm sure I'll be asking him for a special Crane duet.  :)

I may be wrong here, but my understanding is that to say that Geoff is "getting back into the business" would be overstating the case. I certainly wouldn't send orders in his direction unless he openly says that he is inviting them.

Chris