Wrist Arthritus

Kelteglow

Yes getting lots of problems with my wrists .I think I used my Bike to much which puts pressure on the wrists .I wear hand supports often while playing ,especially in the cold outside. I don't really want surgery to fuse the joints but the wrists are often painful . Bob 

I don't know what actual condition you have but there are other treatments.  Assuming you've tried several there is a relatively new over the counter topical gel for arthritis pain containing 1% diclofenac sodium (what ever the heck that is).  I don't know if it's available where you are and I'd ask your doctor first.

On 6/11/2021 at 7:53 PM, wunks said:

I don't know what actual condition you have but there are other treatments.  Assuming you've tried several there is a relatively new over the counter topical gel for arthritis pain containing 1% diclofenac sodium (what ever the heck that is).  I don't know if it's available where you are and I'd ask your doctor first.

Diclofenac gel has been available in Europe and the UK over the counter as brand Voltarol for several years, and I think now similarly in the US as Voltaren. It's an NSAID anti-inflammatory, like Ibruprofen but stronger. I've used it for arthritis relief on joints occasionally for years. Diclofenac is restricted to prescription when taken as tablets, but topical gel is said to be safer.

Surprisingly, as someone who has had arthritic joint problems for 30 years, I find that playing the English concertina does not cause me problems. I think it can be a relatively low stress activity for the wrists, as bellows movement for me is a whole-hand movement from the upper arm, without flexing the wrists much.

Usual caveats apply - I'm not a medic. Info is from my experience - you may differ. Anglo concertina ergonomics will be different to English.

• Like 1