Dodgy listings on eBay?

Two concertinas listed by someone who has just joined Ebay & has no feedback score:

Wheatstone English  eBay item number: 313550988761

Lachenal English Bass??  eBay item number: 313551005461

Anyone know if these are real or fake listings?

I have asked & question and received no answer.

Peter

My recollection of the Doncaster Band's concertinas comes from the Salvation Army week end event at Bognor Regis.

Certainly at least one of their larger instruments had rather crudely made replacement ends.

Quite a lot of years ago but I believe you were there yourself John.

Shalom  TJ

I remember that. The Doncaster Citadel had a quartet not a full band if I remember correctly. The lead player was Mildred Stringer. I believe she was later recorded for the ICA sound archive.

I have asked the seller for more details (more photos, dimensions) on the supposed Bass instrument (I'd wondered if this was a New Model F tenor with replacement ends that has been hiding out in a damp cellar?? - but would defer to the bass identification above). My request was posted shortly after it was listed, I haven't had a reply yet - but will happily share should it arrive.

• Like 1

I'd have thought a scammer would have used pictures of instruments in rather better condition in order to attract high bids.  But perhaps that's a double-bluff.  It certainly pays to be wary of sales on ebay, but there are genuine sellers out there, it's a shame we have to be so suspicious.

• Like 1

I have asked questions and not got a reply. I also put in a small offer to test the waters and it was rejected automatically. As you say, Stephen, not responding to questions and having so little information makes one suspicious. Could be a novice Ebayer (as joined at the start of June) but I’m not pursuing this any further.

• 3 weeks later...

For those that are still following this....I bought the Lachenal.  It is in fact an F Tenor and it's actually in a fairly good playable condition despite the looks.  The inside of the case has a sticker saying 'Doncaster Salvation Army', so 10/10 for that observation.  I'll try and post some pics when I get chance.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rikki said:

For those that are still following this....I bought the Lachenal.  It is in fact an F Tenor and it's actually in a fairly good playable condition despite the looks.  The inside of the case has a sticker saying 'Doncaster Salvation Army', so 10/10 for that observation.  I'll try and post some pics when I get chance.

Thanks for your post.

I’m glad I was wrong and sorry for raising unnecessary concerns.

8 hours ago, Peter Smith said:

Thanks for your post.

I’m glad I was wrong and sorry for raising unnecessary concerns.

It actually took the seller two weeks to send it and only after I had raised a case (and even received a refund) so I was starting to wish I had followed my instinct but I was hoping that it might have been a bass.  As it stands I'm very happy that it's an F tenor as it has a lovely tone.  Watch this space for some pics and (possibly) a wee video link if I feel confident enough.  My concertina playing has been very limited over recent times though this might be the one to get me back into it.

I've added some pics in my Google drive https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13VDBDQE8V2JFahe1dz0XtITAfQIKPPMU?usp=sharing .  

I believe that the serial number reads F0675 (?)

There's no moss in or on it - I suspect it was flash from the seller's camera.  It measures 7.5 inches across - the same as the F Tenor new model I previously owned so this possibly was a new model just with different or replacement ends.

As first glance appears a basic overhaul of new pads, valves, bellows rebind, a little tuning, and sorting or replacing a few worn buttons.  No structural issues and the steel reeds are in great condition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rikki said:

I've added some pics in my Google drive https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13VDBDQE8V2JFahe1dz0XtITAfQIKPPMU?usp=sharing .  

I believe that the serial number reads F0675 (?)

There's no moss in or on it - I suspect it was flash from the seller's camera.  It measures 7.5 inches across - the same as the F Tenor new model I previously owned so this possibly was a new model just with different or replacement ends.

As first glance appears a basic overhaul of new pads, valves, bellows rebind, a little tuning, and sorting or replacing a few worn buttons.  No structural issues and the steel reeds are in great condition.

Thanks for posting some pictures. The internal condition looks pretty good, as you say. The reeds & bellows look very clean. Enjoy the restoration!

• Like 1