Two concertinas listed by someone who has just joined Ebay & has no feedback score:

Wheatstone English  eBay item number: 313550988761

Lachenal English Bass??  eBay item number: 313551005461

Anyone know if these are real or fake listings?

I have asked & question and received no answer.

Peter

My recollection of the Doncaster Band's concertinas comes from the Salvation Army week end event at Bognor Regis.

Certainly at least one of their larger instruments had rather crudely made replacement ends.

Quite a lot of years ago but I believe you were there yourself John.

Shalom  TJ

I remember that. The Doncaster Citadel had a quartet not a full band if I remember correctly. The lead player was Mildred Stringer. I believe she was later recorded for the ICA sound archive.

I have asked the seller for more details (more photos, dimensions) on the supposed Bass instrument (I'd wondered if this was a New Model F tenor with replacement ends that has been hiding out in a damp cellar?? - but would defer to the bass identification above). My request was posted shortly after it was listed, I haven't had a reply yet - but will happily share should it arrive.

I'd have thought a scammer would have used pictures of instruments in rather better condition in order to attract high bids.  But perhaps that's a double-bluff.  It certainly pays to be wary of sales on ebay, but there are genuine sellers out there, it's a shame we have to be so suspicious.

I have asked questions and not got a reply. I also put in a small offer to test the waters and it was rejected automatically. As you say, Stephen, not responding to questions and having so little information makes one suspicious. Could be a novice Ebayer (as joined at the start of June) but I’m not pursuing this any further.