The Future of the Button Box

After 31 years managing The Button Box, I have decided to retire and put the business up for sale. I am posting this in hopes that someone in the c.net community might be interested in becoming the next owner/manager.

The sale would include the retail business, and R. Morse & Co. Concertinas, our concertina manufacturing operation. Our building in Sunderland, MA will also be available as a separate transaction, but does not need to be included in the purchase of the business.

The Button Box was begun by Rich Morse in the mid-1980’s and has strong connections to the accordion and concertina communities in North America and beyond. It has a customer base that includes over 20,000 people in 30 countries around the world.  

If you’re interested in exploring possible next steps, please send me an email at doug@buttonbox.com so that we can set up a time to talk when I’m not working with customers.  I'm not often on this forum, so responses to postings might take a bit longer.

Doug Creighton

I would like to add my thanks to Doug for the very professional way he and his staff treated me during the sales of Anglo and English Internationals. I had nothing but praise from anyone who had dealings with your company and it is a great loss to the Concertina World that you have decided to move on to pastures new.

Good luck

Alan .

I agree with all the positive comments regarding what you and your colleagues have provided to us, Doug.  Thanks so much....Without your help, I'd've been just another "straignt harp" harmonica player.  With your help, I am a chronic novice in diatonic button accordion, anglo 'tina, and Hayden duet.  I better get there before you hand off, since I still haven't ever owned an English, or a CBA!

In all seriousness, it has been a tremendous pleasure to make my "quarterly pilgrimage" to Sunderland, and to get to know you and some of your staff a bit over the years.  I have only bought/traded/rented/had repaired perhaps 10 or a dozen of these machines at the Button Box, and still have at least five with your "mark" on them, including the best among them, the Morse G/D.  I do hope some worthy successor awaits, and that you have a much-deserved and lengthy retirement.

Edited by David Colpitts
typo

When I ordered my R. Morse & Co. Beaumont in January, I had no idea I'd be purchasing one of the last Hayden Duets made by The Button Box. I haven't had it a long time but I'm thrilled with it.  Best of luck Doug, in all that you do.

-Dan

1 hour ago, Lu10ntDn said:

...one of the last Hayden Duets made by The Button Box

Do you know something I don’t know? Doug looking to retire and sell the business need not signify the end of production of R. Morse Concertinas, any more than the passing of Rich Morse did. Doug doesn’t make them personally, his employees do, and I would think it reasonable to expect that those same employees would continue to do so even under new ownership.

I finally visited the Button Box a week ago after years of dreaming about it.  Living without a car in downtown Boston, it took time for the planets to align.  But I made up for the delay by ordering a Beaumont.  I will be a beginner concertina player and am thrilled to discover this site.  And hopeful about the future of the business.  It's a gem of an opportunity for the right person.  Best to Doug and the rest of the BB team! 

This leaves me wondering who is the current "owner".  Doug, is the BB owned outright by yourself?

I'm wondering whether a possible option -- hopefully a temporary one -- could be for it to continue under current ownership while hiring a new manager who would have the right skills but not the wherewithal to buy it.

I know that if I won the lottery (difficult, since I don't play), I would offer to buy the business if Doug could find an appropriate manager... a position for which I'm not suited.

Thanks for your generous comments, everyone.  This transition won't happen overnight, so concertina production will continue as usual for the time being.   My focus is on finding a buyer and moving the business to a new chapter.

In answer to your question, Jim, I inherited the business from Rich when he passed away in 2009.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Doug, 

congrats!

I very much hope that BB continues. And continues at it’s current location. You and Bob have been awesome. And come to my rescue on several occasions!

I really hope that BB goes on!

• 5 months later...

As mentioned in another thread, Button Box has announced on their website that they will be closing their retail store on March 31 but continuing their repair service after that.  I would guess that means that Doug was not able to find a buyer for the business.  They say, "Orders for new R. Morse & Co. Céilí anglo concertinas will be accepted through March 31, 2022," which seems to imply that those concertinas may be built after the retail store is closed.  With luck, Doug will chime in here to tell us if new Morse concertinas will continue to be made after those orders are complete.  It's possible that that hasn't been determined yet.

More info at https://buttonbox.com/transition.html .