Reed & Delroy

Today I saw a TV programme - 'Heir Hunters' Series 9 Episode 10 on More 4 about 'Reed and Delroy'. Their name rang a bell in connection with concertinas, so I watched it twice! Its streaming here but probably UK only. For those outside the UK the subtitles are available here .

Both played concertina and accordion. Their real names were Arthur and Muriel (nee Marshall) Gill who had formed the act as teenagers, and married in 1952. Muriel (born 1929 in Rawtenstall, Lancashire) was known professionally as 'Rita Delroy' and had continued to perform after Arthur retired. They were based in Blackpool and appeared on bills for theatre shows there in the 1950s/60s, often to audiences up to of 6,000.

Another name appears out the mists!

reed_delroy.jpg

Edited by wes williams

I think I spy a 4th concertina --  also a  miniature -- on the table (shelf?), in front of large accordion at knee level of Ms Rita Delroy, right next to the octagonal metal-ended English concertina

5 hours ago, CrP said:

I think I spy a 4th concertina --  also a  miniature -- on the table (shelf?), in front of large accordion at knee level of Ms Rita Delroy, right next to the octagonal metal-ended English concertina

You're right, there is another miniature to the left of the Aeola on the table, as well as the one immediately below it, sitting on top of another accordion.

758569387_ReedDelroy.jpg.9149b742a1b02a1e1be569135605282a.jpg 

Edited by Stephen Chambers