Concertina Smelling

I've recieved looks for smelling a concertina first

This was so far off the topic I thought we should start a new thread... when I recieved my Jackie (and still today) it smells strongly of something....is it cedar?

It rather reminds me of a cedar chest my parents had....or perhaps that was just mothballs? :blink: Anyway, it was quite pleasant, but I can't place what it is! Any thoughts?

Greg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Albion smells sweet, leather, whatever varnish they use, the tangy brass finger rests. Very nice, gentile.

Fellow I attend session with has a 1856 Wheatstone and I was suprised by the strong stench of heavy machine oil. Not pleasant and I assume none to good for the valves.

Edited by Mark Evans

I've just got a concertina that makes me sneeze every time I play it !  I wonder if it's possible to be allergic to your concertina ( as some fiddlers are to rosin).Robin

Mold! That's my guess.

I play frequently in a friend's living room and I have to take a maximum dose of antihistime before going or i'm so teary eyed and sneezy I can't play.

It is some sort of allergy, though perhaps not mold. Mold would suggest some sort of a dampness and I assume there would be some function issues with the instrument.

Might be a good idea to open er' up and find out what's what.

Hi

Perhaps someone should develop a series of aerosol spray cans along the lines of the 'new car smell' cans available to the secondhand car trade

Perhaps a 'New Dipper' and and 'Antique Wheatstone' might be in order. What might these smell like ??

Apologies to Geoff but I can't seem to come up with any ideas for Crabbs

Any ideas or preferences folks - Sensible ideas rejected out of hand :D

Dave P

(Definately a 'Trent and Mersey Canal Water Smell' ,enthusiast myself :lol: )

"

Robin Harrison Posted Today, 06:40 AM

I've just got a concertina that makes me sneeze every time I play it ! I wonder if it's possible to be allergic to your concertina ( as some fiddlers are to rosin).Robin "

Robin, I was allergic to my first concertina. At first I thought it was my new cat (got them at the same time). Turns out I was allergic to the wood that the reed pan was made of. The allergy got better as the wood dust all got blown out. Even though I was having a hard time breathing I still played :rolleyes:

My Edeophone smelt horribly musty when I first had it. The smell gradually disappeared; and then it started to fall apart. It now smells delicately musty after Colin repaired it and is a happy concertina again. Moral - perhaps it's meant to be smelly. Well, the concertina anyway...... :ph34r:

Jill

Perhaps a 'New Dipper' and and 'Antique Wheatstone' might be in order. What might these smell like ??

When it was new, my new Dipper smelt of mothballs. Does that help?

Chris

Haven't caught any moths recently to have a smell of them. Must be quite potent.

Never smelled anything like the Crabb that Mark Davies brought back from Ireland. Definitely major overtones of canal water. :ph34r:

Never smelled anything like the Crabb that Mark Davies brought back from Ireland. Definitely major overtones of canal water. :ph34r:

Well it didn't smell of canal water when I sold it to its former owner 25 years ago, and the nearest it has been to a "canal" in the meantime has been the ferry between Cleggan Pier and Inishbofin Island. Of course there could have been overtones of damp mould and turf smoke ... ;)