Last Of The Summer Wine

groeswenphil

• 1 year later...
Don't know if you've seen the TV show. It has a rather nice theme tune, probably sound great on two concertinas.

Feedback appreciated

http://www.btinternet.com/~groeswenphil/summer/summer.html

Phil

Well, Phil, it sounds great on harmonica, so should transfer to concertina equally well.

I was playing around with this tune about 20 years ago, but never really cracked it; the opening few bars are fine (i.e. what is normally heard at the start/finish of the programme), but I didn't find the rest quite as inspiring. Great scenery!.

I feel another "project" coming on. :huh:

Regards,

Peter.

I was chatting with a member of the National Harmonica League a while ago and he said that the TV series had been running so long that three different harmonica players had contributed to the incidental music - presumably a nice little earner!

By the way, the scenery is around Holmfirth in West Yorkshire.

Brian Johnson

Interestingly when I first got a concertina and was nurdling around on it one of the first tunes to come out was this one - probably because of the similarity in sound.

Also interesting (for me) is that I've traced both sides of my family back to Holmfirth :D

Also interesting (for me) is that I've traced both sides of my family back to Holmfirth :D

In that case, you may want to learn a tune called the Holmfirth Anthem. It's well known in them parts. :rolleyes:

Chris

"pratty flow-yers"?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I'm new around here and new to the concertina but have been playing the harmonica for a short time now. I play mostly straight harmonica (as opposed to playing cross harp or 2nd position).

Although I live in the USA the show Last Of The Summer Wine is one of my favorites. And your 100% right. The song sounds fantastic on the harmonica. One has to bend a few notes to get it right but it still is a fantastic tune to play on a harmonica and should be on a concertina as well.

Being new to the forum if I screw this up please foregive me............. :blink:

Keep in mind that I'm still a rookie to playing music. I'm no musician and a rookie to playing the harmonica but thought I'd post this. It got to be better then that midi link posted above.......... This is my humble attempt at Last Of The Summer Wine on the harmonica..

Last of the Summer Wine

Edited by bear

Yes, and wonderful scenery! I was in Holmfirth in 2001 (first time in 15 years) to compete in the Jackson Bridge Hill Climb. It's a quiet road, up to Tinker's Monument (if I remember the name correctly), and I've seen the location appear on several of the subsequent programmes.

The Folk Festival, in May, is well worth attending. I first met Brian Peters, at the festival, in 1985. Was it really over 20 years ago? :unsure: , or should that be :o ?