Metal ended bass???

3 hours ago, conzertino said:

I was just wondering, if anybody has ever seen or owned a bass-concertina with metal ends?

Or is this the only one!?!

Bass.jpg.a99c2cc3581351f2d92f565dc2db6889.jpg

Here’s a metal-ended 82-key Wheatstone Hayden that Steve Dickinson built:

82_key_Hayden.jpg

I describe it more fully in this post from 2006. The low note is F2 (an octave and a half below middle C). The 48 buttons on the right play the same notes as the 48 buttons on a treble EC.

Here are some basses lined up at Hawkwood in 2014 - 11 instruments visible - all wooden ends, all English layout. Some go down to the C two octaves below middle C, some to the G below that (is that a contra-bass?). total range varies a lot, from about 2 or 2 1/2 octaves to 4 octaves. Most are single action but some, including at least one 48 key G Bass, are double action. All are are heavy, some very. The one consistent thing about basses is they are nearly all different from each other! This must be the largest known gathering of basses! I Think that there were twelve there that weekend.

On David's instrument the F one and a half octaves below middle C would make that  a slightly extended baritone, and if the fingering layout is not two octaves below that of a treble but the same, it is what I know as a baritone-treble. Looking at David's picture, though, it looks to be a duet, perhaps a Hayden, and they usually don't seem to be tuned down, just extended as far as required.

Nick

IMG_3318 Basses 2014.jpg

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Nick Oliver said:

Looking at David's picture, though, it looks to be a duet, perhaps a Hayden, and they usually don't seem to be tuned down, just extended as far as required.

Yes, I said it was a Hayden in my post, above. Here is the layout of the 82 buttons. ( C ) = middle C (both hands). The bounds of the standard 46-key Hayden is outlined in slashes and underscores.

|            LEFT HAND          ||        RIGHT HAND
|                               ||
|                               ||      Bb  C
|                               ||    Eb__F___G__ A   B
|       _____________           ||  Ab \Bb  C   D\__E___F#__G#
|   Eb /F   G   A   B\______    ||    Eb/ F   G   A   B   C#\ D#
| Ab /Bb (C)  D   E   F#  G# \  ||  Ab/ Bb  C   D   E   F#  G#\
|   Eb\ F   G   A   B   C#  D#/ ||    Eb\ F   G   A   B   C#  D#\
| Ab  Bb\_C___D___E___F#__G#/   ||  Ab  Bb\(C)__D___E___F#__G#_/
|       F   G   A   B   C#  D#  ||            G   A   B   C#  D#
|                     F#  G#    ||                          G#
|                               ||
|(5th Finger)           (Thumb) ||  (Thumb)       (5th Finger)
| ==========HAND STRAP========  ||   ======HAND STRAP========

Ignore the colors. I typed it all in black and for some reason the interface adds colors.

On 5/15/2021 at 1:31 PM, conzertino said:

I was just wondering, if anybody has ever seen or owned a bass-concertina with metal ends?

Or is this the only one!?!

1 hour ago, Peter Smith said:

I have a metal ended concertina that goes down to C2 - 2 octaves below middle C. Its a Wheatstone 80 button Chidley and has a 5 octave range.

So there’s your answer, conzertino, unless you’re specifically looking for one set up like an English Concertina.

11 hours ago, Nick Oliver said:

Here are some basses lined up at Hawkwood in 2014

By any chance did any or all of these play together at Hawkwood, and if so are there any recordings? That would be the most awesome rumbling sound ever!

Gary

Thanks for all your answers. I was in fact wondering, if there is another ES bass ( fingered two octaves below treble ) with metal ends around... I know of large Mccanns that go down to the bass range. I have two ebony-ended Aeola basses, one down to C and one down to G ( both double action ) and a ME bass-baritone Aeola ( down to C ).

(Thread drift!) Yes - we have privately made recordings,but not for sale, only for participants - about 36 instruments/players, nearly all English, one or two Anglos, maybe a couple of McCann duets. Mainly Brass band repertoire - marches like Slaidburn and Florentiner, but there is a record which we (24 of us) made for sale in about 2009, which is still available - called Marches and Tunes by Hawkwood Concertina Band. The website for it seems to have gone, but there are still some about. Google will find some contacts.

Nick

2 hours ago, conzertino said:

Thanks for all your answers. I was in fact wondering, if there is another ES bass ( fingered two octaves below treble ) with metal ends around... I know of large Mccanns that go down to the bass range. I have two ebony-ended Aeola basses, one down to C and one down to G ( both double action ) and a ME bass-baritone Aeola ( down to C ).

mike hardings bass has metal ends