Dick Van Dyke - Concertinist!

The wife and I just re-watched "Mary Poppins" last night! I had never noticed before that Dick Van Dyke plays concertina during his "one man band" scene in the opening minutes of the movie....I guess I've never noticed how many times I saw a concertina until I bought one. Strange phenomena, isn't it?

Greg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wife and I just re-watched "Mary Poppins" last night!  I had never noticed before that Dick Van Dyke plays concertina during his "one man band" scene in the opening minutes of the movie....I guess I've never noticed how many times I saw a concertina until I bought one.  Strange phenomena, isn't it?

Come on, details, is it an anglo or an english :).

I wonder if he really plays one or if it is simply a prop? His talents are certainly broad enough that I would believe he played it.

--

Bill

I wonder if he really plays one or if it is simply a prop?

It was definitely a prop in that sequence. At one point he only had one hand on it, but with the manic routine he was doing, I don't see how anyone could have been really playing. I couldn't tell what sort it was, but he DID have his hands in the correct position....coming from his Vaudeville background, I wouldn't surprised if he did play.

Really, I was thinking more about how many times I had seen a "subliminal" concertina. I don't remember many pop-culture instances, but now that my awareness has been expanded, I'm seeing more and more.

My memory says anglo.

I was in love with Julie Andrews :wub:. Sat through Mary Poppins and the Sound of Music many times as a boy. Am suprised I remembered the concertina. Been huming tunes from both movies all afternoon. Sigh.

Tis' true Stephen. By the time I sat in that theater and feel in love for the first time, I was already playing a Scholer 20 button and (what has moved me to devulge this?) wearing lederhosen my uncle had purchased for me on a trip to Southern Germany. :huh: Yes, as an adult I sought therapy and learned to embrace my oddness. I miss those lederhosen...

Edited by Mark Evans

You are a kind soul. Roly-Poly will however keep his long breeches and leave lederhosen firmly in the past.... Now a kilt is a different matter :P ! For the record, I am not a traditionalist...drafts don't agree wid me lassie!