Double Case Recommendations

If you're travelling by train, you don't want to let your concertina bag out of your sight for a moment*. That means something you're prepared to have under your feet or on your lap for several hours. That leads me to Adrian Brown's solution: close-fitting rigid jug boxes in a rucksack padded with clothes and stuff.

Or a large rigid case that you can use as a seat. But I would go with the rucksack myself.

*Yes, I have had someone try to wander off with my rucksack. Luckily I was sitting close enough to see them and retrieve it.

I use the Flipside 300 by Lowepro for touring with two concertinas. It's a durable thick walled backpack with lots of foam pad internal blocking options that are adjustable using velcro, so you can configure the inside anyway you want without committing yourself. Very light and easy to carry, yet sturdy enough for delicate photographic equipment (for which it's made) or squeeze-boxes. Fits two concertinas with secure padding between and a bit of room for extras, small storage pocket and water bottle holder.

It has a bunch of external hooks and loops, so that I can attach a folding chair which is very handy as a hands free ride for my boxes + seat at festivals and travel. I've tried a number of clumsy cases, but I always come back to this one because it works so well.

15 years of touring abuse later, it's getting a bit frayed around the edges but still works as good as new.

https://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Flipside-DSLR-Camera-Backpack/dp/B000YA33DC/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=Flipside+300+lowepro&qid=1620187324&sr=8-6

Edited by Jody Kruskal

Hello, 

Greg Jowaisas, a frequent contributor here, makes excellent Concertina Cases.  I have a three instrument case from him. Sorry there are no pictures, but I am at work(on break!), and the case is at home!  If you need/want to see it, let me know, and I will post some this evening when I get home from work.  Good luck, and take care, 

Don

Like Jody,  I also use the FLipside camera backpack for carrying two concertinas, mostly on Morris tours, when carrying several hard cases for extended periods would pretty much wreck my arms.  I know a hard case provides superior protection, but honestly, in 10 years of carrying the instruments in crowded pubs, NY subway trains,  airplanes and on two UK Morris tours,   I've never had a problem.  It's super light weight, with very dense foam and fairly rigid sides.

It's a different story at home,  where the instruments always reside in individual Pelican cases. I have a superb Jowaisas case for my Jeffries - I love it, but after a major plumbing disaster that almost produced a tsunami in my music room,  I want something completely waterproof.  I've considered a Pelican case big enough for two instruments, but can't see myself lugging one around on all-day Morris walking tours.

My version. Been all over the US, and to Ireland for 17 years. Center compartment holds chargers, mic preamp, eyeglass cleaner, sunglasses, passport, occasional flask, humidity tracker, and now an Apple Airtag to replace the Tile tracker.

IMG_0695.jpeg

IMG_0694.jpeg

On 5/2/2021 at 11:15 AM, cohen said:

I'm considering getting a double case made to take my Jeffries and Crabb concertinas as a convenient way to carry both instruments when I return to doing live gigs (whenever that may be... but let's not get into that!). I know a few members on here have double concertina cases, it would be great to know who people have used to build these cases and if anyone has any recommendations. I'm UK based, so UK builders would be preferred, but non-UK builders would be considered.

Thanks in advance!

Here's a couple of UK companies I came across when looking for a case for Northumbrian Pipes.

Cases & Enclosures   and   Protective Cases

You may find something to suit.

Jake

I also have cases from 5 Star.  Once we can visit again I will be getting them to make me a double case for my treble and baritone EC concertinas and a single case for my bass.  Compared to the weight of the wooden case my double action bass is currently in, a 5 Star one will be light!!  I am hoping to design something with them which has wheels and a handle to reduce the amount of carrying I have to do.  Definitely worth talking to them about what you need, they are very helpful.

I had this made for me some years ago.  It's great at doing the protection thang and acting as a seat when turned on end but it's heavy when you add a couple of 46 key instruments and the running repair kit which I carry!  I'm not sure if Aardvark are still going but the label gives a contact number.

IMG_0997.JPG

IMG_0998.JPG

Hnet.com-image (2).jpg

3 hours ago, Paul Draper said:

Sainsbury's are doing a metal case for £20 that should do the trick with a bit of foam padding. They can be found in the gardening section. 

Is this it? https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/Product/curated-living-gardening-box

Can you say any more about it? Dimensions? Weight?

The handles might need padding if you're going to be carrying it very far.

Following discussions on this topic, I had a look at getting a custom made case.... however, it transpired that Swan Flightcase manufacturers are currently having a sale of cases for 7 inch vinyl records (100,200 & 300) These have compartments within the case (200 & 300 models) Anyway, I bought two for £125 inc expedited delivery (48 hrs) & VAT I'll be adding some foam blocking to suit each concertina, but I think this is a pretty cost effective and suitable solution :) as pictured, (the lid is actually detachable) see https://www.swanflight.com/dj-flight-cases/dj-record-boxes-flightcases/7-singles-record-boxes.html

I hope this is a useful option for members of the group :)20210528_165351_resized.thumb.jpg.dab07b83146e41592fb13e219be3af50.jpg

Gerry S20210528_165407_resized.thumb.jpg.faac42b957a8dc2114a6664fcc262566.jpg

The case from Sainsburys is 46x29x20cm and weighs just over 2kg. There is a lip that makes it a little awkward putting the melodeon in (Oakwood model 7), the concertina is a 30key Lachenal Anglo. There is just enough room for the two. I will be adding some form of padding and some storage for whistles in the lid.

20210529_100927.jpg

Whatever you get, make sure it has a very comfortable handle, or can have one fitted. Multiple instruments can get heavy quickly and a thin little handle will quickly hurt the very hands needed to play the instruments inside. 

If the case also has provision for backpack straps, even better!

Gary

38 minutes ago, gcoover said:

If the case also has provision for backpack straps, even better!

Gary

I've always found a front pack at belt level to be good for small and medium loads while travelling, x-country skiing carrying the baby, etc.... better balance and you can sit without re-configuring.  If you should fall or are targeted in a smash and grab attempt you can curl 'round and protect.  You even have a ready desk or table for your lap top or a sandwich.  Don't try that with the baby however....😏

• Like 1