Jump to content

Double Case Recommendations


Recommended Posts

I'm considering getting a double case made to take my Jeffries and Crabb concertinas as a convenient way to carry both instruments when I return to doing live gigs (whenever that may be... but let's not get into that!). I know a few members on here have double concertina cases, it would be great to know who people have used to build these cases and if anyone has any recommendations. I'm UK based, so UK builders would be preferred, but non-UK builders would be considered.

 

Thanks in advance!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is my box it is leather and is an old vanity case.

It is much admired and can take two concertinas either laying flat or on end.

It had an over powering smell of perfume when I got it in an auction and the mirror I removed from the lid.

These do become available and polish up like new.

Al

box3.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am a big fan of a well-made, aesthetically pleasing case. My suggestion does not fall into the aesthetically pleasing category, but if you are looking for something for gigging, you might consider pelican or nanuk cases as they are watertight. The advantage is that they also help keep the humidity up if you live in a climate that has to deal with heating in the winter. I know many use the pelican storm im2075 for single concertinas, but the nanuk 918 works well for 2.

PXL_20210503_034848130.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see you're in the UK. I have two of my concertinas in a case, the same as this from the same Ebay seller. I added some high density foam to provide the correct support and division... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142818481322?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

It is very robust if a little on the heavy side, I but I'd rather have such a small (potential) inconvenience if it means protecting my "babies" to the max! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks to everyone for your recommendations so far, lots of things to think about. Since I do most of my travel in normal times by train, I would like to avoid a case that was too far on the heavy side (although I recognise that getting a case that offers high protection and is lightweight is a bit of a holy grail!).

 

On 5/3/2021 at 4:58 AM, JD Rogers said:

I am a big fan of a well-made, aesthetically pleasing case. My suggestion does not fall into the aesthetically pleasing category, but if you are looking for something for gigging, you might consider pelican or nanuk cases as they are watertight. The advantage is that they also help keep the humidity up if you live in a climate that has to deal with heating in the winter. I know many use the pelican storm im2075 for single concertinas, but the nanuk 918 works well for 2.

PXL_20210503_034848130.jpg

 

 

I know quite a few people with Peli cases for other things and they swear by them and by all accounts they are virtually bomb proof. What is the weight like for this with two concertinas in, and how easy was it to customise the foam inserts to fit your instruments?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been wondering for some time about possible cases for multiple concertinas. While reading this thread I suddenly thought that a spare Stanley toolbox might be suitable, so I have just tried it for size. These are the largest two of my Anglos and they do just fit, with some space left for padding, though only a little.

P2010226.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got this case from a yacht chandler a good few years ago.  I've a feeling they were made in Italy but with a Netherlands distributor.  I had to add the padding but they were around £70 if I remember rightly.  Plywood frame, leather clad, very robust

IMG_5911.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, paaudio said:

as mentioned sbove

20210503_190751_resized.jpg

20210504_083216_resized.jpg

The problem with Pelican cases (I have one) and Nanuk cases is that there is an invisible label on the side that reads "Steal Me!  I am full of expensive camera gear!". 

 

Whereas the invisible label on these cases reads "Stay Away!  There is a rusty WWII bomb inside!"

Edited by Don Taylor
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting to see people using off the shelf options - the 5Star cases look good - especially their blockings - but weight is definitely an issue. I have a fiddle case that would probably withstand a medium size thermonuclear blast, but its soo heavy I never use it for transporting the instrument, so its pretty useless sadly.

 

It is MASSIVELY alarming to see how few of the examples shown have proper blockings - we get too many calls and e-mails each year after someone has dropped a case that does not have blockings that support the instrument, and at least one new end is needed - around £1k of work. If you drop a double case, you can bet that Newton's law combines with Concertina legend, and you get a 'Wheatstone's Cradle' effect - so probably 3 ends to repair 😱

 

Please, please, please make sure your case has proper blockings in it to hold the bellows properly and support the instrument so that the fretwork will not be broken - and for a double case they should prevent the to instruments colliding. It will save the instrument(s), your insurance premium and your sanity.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, cohen said:

I know quite a few people with Peli cases for other things and they swear by them and by all accounts they are virtually bomb proof. What is the weight like for this with two concertinas in, and how easy was it to customise the foam inserts to fit your instruments?

Peli cases are a bit lighter than the square black Italian or Chinese cases available from music shops, and much lighter than flight cases, or the military case mentioned here.

 

The pluckable foam fillings are best avoided. With use they release small particles that can get into reeds and stop them working. 

 

I endorse John Dipper's plea above.  Peli cases can be blocked, though the angles formed by the sides which slope inwards towards the base mean some careful cutting of angles to get parallel sides to locate the concertina.  I've used dense styrofoam covered with soft leather or velvet.  Styrofoam is easily cut, is light weight, and is firm enough to hold the concertina securely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, cohen said:

Thanks to everyone for your recommendations so far, lots of things to think about. Since I do most of my travel in normal times by train, I would like to avoid a case that was too far on the heavy side (although I recognise that getting a case that offers high protection and is lightweight is a bit of a holy grail!).

 

Hi Cohen,

 

I normally travelled with 3 Anglos back in the times when it was possible to play concerts (it's so long ago, I can't remember if you spell consert with a "c" or an "s"...) I've found the best solution weight/space are the traditional leather and card "jug" cases. They're light and tight, they look lovely and you can easily cram 3 of them in a medium sized rucksack (horizontally...), which you can then pad out with a change of clothes, the odd recorder and so on... An advantage if you're travelling by train is that a rucksack looks less attractive to thieves than a bespoke instrument case.

 

They used to come up on ebay every so often and I think I bought a couple from Chris Algar. They quickly disintegrated with use, but were reasonably easy to repair. I ended up making a few of them myself, which took ages, but a good leatherworker could do it a lot quicker.

 

Years ago, I made a plywood and leather case for 3 concertinas and only used it twice - it was just too heavy to lug around.

 

Cheers,

Adrian

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, John Dipper said:

Interesting to see people using off the shelf options - the 5Star cases look good - especially their blockings - but weight is definitely an issue. I have a fiddle case that would probably withstand a medium size thermonuclear blast, but its soo heavy I never use it for transporting the instrument, so its pretty useless sadly.

 

It is MASSIVELY alarming to see how few of the examples shown have proper blockings - we get too many calls and e-mails each year after someone has dropped a case that does not have blockings that support the instrument, and at least one new end is needed - around £1k of work. If you drop a double case, you can bet that Newton's law combines with Concertina legend, and you get a 'Wheatstone's Cradle' effect - so probably 3 ends to repair 😱

 

Please, please, please make sure your case has proper blockings in it to hold the bellows properly and support the instrument so that the fretwork will not be broken - and for a double case they should prevent the to instruments colliding. It will save the instrument(s), your insurance premium and your sanity.

 

That is fair comment but the (single) cases that came with two of my concertinas don't have blocking. I will not name the manufacturers, nor say whether the instruments are vintage or modern, but the cases are those that were supplied by the makers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...