tedrow concertina on ebay

Hi, I've been playing a swan concertina for about a year, I'm a beginner player, but I've about outgrown it, and ready for my second concertina. I'm in hawaii so I can't just go around trying concertinas, most people don't even know what one is here. I'm wondering about looking on ebay or other sites and how to go about getting one. If a concertina has a 30 day return, I could get it and send it back if I don't like it but not sure how to tell if it's good or not except for playing, and again, just a beginner, so not sure what else to look for. Any tips?

Since you already have a Swan, it sounds like you are serious about playing.  Unless you want to upgrade more than one more time, get as good as you can.  If you cannot afford an instrument with concertina reeds get a good hybrid such as an Edgley, Hamon, Clover, or Morse.  The top makers usually have a waiting list.  There are Irish and English makers as well.  You could also look for a used one.  (I have stayed away from older makes since I did not want to buy a project.  Others can pitch in on their virtues.)  Look at prices for new instruments to compare the quality you are likely to get.  Less money buys less, as one would expect, however used pricing can vary.  If you go to Europe/Britain, the exchange rate affects costs as you would expect.  (The dollar has been dropping since the pandemic start.)

A Tedrow in good condition would qualify as a good hybrid in my book; I've played a number of them. Before Bob Tedrow stopped making concertinas it was amazing to stand in his shop and watch him work. He is as meticulous as the best of them.

The seller of the one on ebay says it is in good condition. Certainly worth considering.

Ken

1 hour ago, Ken_Coles said:

A Tedrow in good condition would qualify as a good hybrid in my book; I've played a number of them. Before Bob Tedrow stopped making concertinas it was amazing to stand in his shop and watch him work. He is as meticulous as the best of them.

The seller of the one on ebay says it is in good condition. Certainly worth considering.

Ken

HI there, thank you so much for your responses. I went ahead and bought theTedrow, and have fingers crossed. It has a 30 day return so if I don't like it I can send her back. I was lucky to connect with another concertina player here in hawaii on this forum today and it looks like he may be able to take a look at it also before the return date is up. I'm excited! Thank you !!

15 hours ago, Margaret Dexter Waldbauer said:

HI there, thank you so much for your responses. I went ahead and bought theTedrow, and have fingers crossed. It has a 30 day return so if I don't like it I can send her back. I was lucky to connect with another concertina player here in hawaii on this forum today and it looks like he may be able to take a look at it also before the return date is up. I'm excited! Thank you !!

It was you that bought it! it went so fast. Please update on how you like it, and if you don't I'll gladly buy it off you at that price, provided everything is in good shape. Otherwise I hope it brings you joy! 

I got the Tedrow today and I'm over the moon happy with it. The case and the concertina are like new and It plays like a dream. The only concertina I have played is my Swan which did me well and got me through the beginner course with Catlin Nic Gabbhan and now I might almost be ready for the improver course. It has the Jeffries layout which is new for me but I'll get it. Thank you for your posts encouragement and info about the Tedrow, it's really a pleasure to play. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 5:29 PM, Margaret Dexter Waldbauer said:

Aloha no Margaret, I am from Hawaii and currently live in Texas. For 25 years I was at The Queens Medical Center.

anyway I was quite pleased to hear there was somebody from Hawaii picking it up and I have been meaning to write you that there is another player which I assume he is the one that you connected with who is very involved and even published some concerts in the music. I currently live in Texas and he moved to Hawaii sometime after 2012.  His name is Gary Coover A member of I hconcertina.net.   If he’s not the one you connected with and you can’t find him on the site let me know and I’ll send you his email address he is very helpful and very much into education. Aloha and Congratulations I’m sure you’ll have much enjoyment.

Srephen Knoll

4 hours ago, StephenTx said:

Aloha no Margaret, I am from Hawaii and currently live in Texas. For 25 years I was at The Queens Medical Center.

anyway I was quite pleased to hear there was somebody from Hawaii picking it up and I have been meaning to write you that there is another player which I assume he is the one that you connected with who is very involved and even published some concerts in the music. I currently live in Texas and he moved to Hawaii sometime after 2012.  His name is Gary Coover A member of I hconcertina.net.   If he’s not the one you connected with and you can’t find him on the site let me know and I’ll send you his email address he is very helpful and very much into education. Aloha and Congratulations I’m sure you’ll have much enjoyment.

Srephen Knoll

Aloha Steven and thank you for taking time to write! I hope you are enjoying being in Texas after 25 years here that is a real switch. My husband is an avid birder, and wants to visit Texas for the birding. Yes it was Gary Coover! As luck would have it Gary is coming to the big island in a couple of weeks for work and is bringing 2 of his concertinas to try and I will have my Swan and the Tedrow, so it will be a concertina fandango here in Captain Cook soon and I can't wait. I am so grateful for this website and forum. I would never have been brave enough to buy a concertina on ebay without everyones posts and Gary encouraging me to "go for it"!

I started dancing with Hawaii Irish Dance in 2017, and then made my first trip to Ireland in 2018 to attend Edwina Guckian's Seanos dance workshop in Carrick on Shannon, and an old friend from nyc who helps out at the Feakle Festival yearly encouraged me to extend my trip a week to attend the festival. So I soaked up set dancing, and  I learned what a "box" was and got to see Caitlin Nic Gabbhan play and dance with her feet at the same time. Most of my videos of her are of her feet- but got home and couldn't stop thinking about the concertina, ordered the Swan, and started my lessons online. So yes... slow beginner, but steadfast-- still trying just tap one foot and play at the same time. I love it.

• Like 1

Aloha,  So good to hear from you my best friends are from Waikoloa. How long have you lived in Hawaii? I love seeing Hawaii them in music with my concertina my favorite are you a musician my background? Did you take lessons from online I also started online.Stephen.  I’m glad you connected with Gary he is very knowledgeable. I consider Hawaii my home a Keki o Ka aina.   Where do you live on the Big Island?

• Like 1

Hi Margaret, 

Years ago I bought an Edgley hybrid that was advertised as having Wheatstone layout, which was what I learned on and was used to.  After struggling with a Rochelle, the Edgley itself was a treat, like playing butter, but wait a minute . . . there was something wrong with the RH accidental row! It turned out be Jeffries layout, of course. 

The seller was nice about it, I could have returned it, and I even talked to Frank about switching reeds, but instead I decided to try it our for a while.

I know this isn't your case--you ordered and received a Jeffries layout (in a very nice box!), but I just wanted to say that it took me maybe two weeks playing every day to get used to it.  If you're brighter than I am (let's hope) you've probably mastered it already. 

Best of luck. 

By the way, my sister-in-law lives on the Big Island--maybe you know her . . .  just kidding!

Doug

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 5:53 AM, rudeboy said:

Hi Margaret, 

Years ago I bought an Edgley hybrid that was advertised as having Wheatstone layout, which was what I learned on and was used to.  After struggling with a Rochelle, the Edgley itself was a treat, like playing butter, but wait a minute . . . there was something wrong with the RH accidental row! It turned out be Jeffries layout, of course. 

The seller was nice about it, I could have returned it, and I even talked to Frank about switching reeds, but instead I decided to try it our for a while.

I know this isn't your case--you ordered and received a Jeffries layout (in a very nice box!), but I just wanted to say that it took me maybe two weeks playing every day to get used to it.  If you're brighter than I am (let's hope) you've probably mastered it already. 

Best of luck. 

By the way, my sister-in-law lives on the Big Island--maybe you know her . . .  just kidding!

Doug

Hi Doug, I didn't get a layout choice I just bought it as is "surprise!" I think it would bother me more if I was a better player, but I'm such a beginner I think I've already gotten used to it. I feel like just how you did when you got your Edgley... a treat and plays like butter. And the box IS nice! Now all I need is practice practice practice.