Convert dots to ABC? PDF to ABC?

There is piece of sotware called "scantailor" which I use to clean up and de-skew scans of electrical drawings (sometimes prior to converting to CAD files). It is not perfect but still quite useful, particulary for batch processing a set of drawings.

In terms of scan/pdf to a Music file the only one Ive tried is something called 'Omer' (optical music recognition) from Myriad software.

The only piece of music I've tried it on was an original arrangemet of 'A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square', and to be honest it did reasonably well in terms of percentage, but the remaining errors take ages to correct. Seems to get confused by slur lines etc, which that peice of music has lots of.

I've not tried it on a single note melody at all.

Caveat here - I've just checked on-line and there is a new version out, so I might try that at home.

It's quite likely that a modern Phone App more successful, and certianly easier as it combines many steps into one.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought of my answer before reaching Don’s response, above, which I completely agree with and complements my answer. Here is my answer:   I hate to say this, David, but the most efficient

And, an early update:  Used PlayScore2 for a song in a hundred-year-old book, basement-stained and faded, yellowed, partly crumbled.  It was almost instant (10 seconds processing, maybe) and perfectly

if  your old-tunebook tunes are not very obscure there is a good chance that someone else has already put them into MuseScore library.  Although MuseScore is free, you do have to pay for access t

Posted Images

On 6/17/2021 at 4:26 AM, gcoover said:

I have to second the recommendation for the iPhone app Sheet Music Scanner.

Sheet Music Scanner is also available on Android.

I have tried it on one clean PDF score and it was pretty good except that it did not recognise slurs or grace notes but it did produce a decent MusicXML file that I was able to import into Musescore and then easily add the missing pieces.  Scanning and exporting to MusicXML is no extra cost on top of a cheap (about US$3) app.

I have not tried it yet, but I do not see why EasyABC could not import the MusicXML file to create an abc notation from a scanned score.