Lowest and highest notes for Anglo in G/D

Hello,

I am creating an app to help music students learn their instruments and concertinas are part of this project. As I know relatively little about these instruments, I'm looking for some expert advice, particularly on the 30-button Anglo Concertina in G/D. 

Scientific notation refers to notes in letter/number format. A0 is the lowest note a piano can play. A1 is one octave higher than that. C8 is the highest note a piano can play. A piano can play all notes between A0 and C8, so it is fully chromatic. Written in this format, here are all the notes (from lowest to highest) that a 30-button Anglo Concertina in C/G can play: 

C3,E3,F3,G3,A3,Bb3,B3,C4,C#4,D4,D#4,E4,F4,F#4,G4,G#4,A4,Bb4,B4,C5,C#5,D5,D#5,E5,F5,F#5,G5,G#5,A5,Bb5,B5,C6,C#6,D6,D#6,E6,F6,F#6,G6

Can anyone provide me with the same information for an Anglo Concertina in G/D?

And, just to confirm, music for English, Anglo and Duet concertinas is written using both the treble and bass clefs, correct?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Sounds like an interesting project. Let's qualify this is for the "Wheatstone" layout in particular just in case there are differences at the upper end. This is the more common and what your students will likely be encountering. I think you are missing A6 and B6 on your C/G range? Here's G/D:

G2,B2,C3,D3,E3,F3,F#3,G3,G#3,A3,A#4,B3,C4,C#4,D4,D#4,E4,F4,F#4,G4,G#4,A4,A#4,B4,C5,C#5,D5,D#5,E5,F5,F#5,G5,G#5,A5,A#5,B5,C6,C#6,D6,E6,F#6

I've seen concertina music in both bass and treble clefs, for sure. I don't think there is an accepted standard, it will be more to do with what sort of music you are notating. A Duet would do well to have a score with bass and treble to represent chords and melody, for example. A simple Irish tune can be easily notated in treble and transposed if playing on a bass instrument. There might have been some accepted ways of notating concertina music in the 19th century with the English concertina, as much was written for it in a classical setting, others here will no doubt know more or point you towards resources.

Good luck with the app, certainly interested in the outcome and post again if you need further advice.

Paul.

Anglo layouts can vary a bit from instrument to instrument, particularly on the third row. These are the pitches in a 38 button Jeffries G/D I built. Note that there are some gaps in the scale, e.g. there's no Bb2 or Bb5:

G2 B2 C3 D3 E3 F3 F#3 G3 G#3 A3 Bb3 B3 C4 C#4 D4 Eb4 E4 F4 F#4 G4 G#4 A4 Bb4 B4 C5 C#5 D5 Eb5 E5 F5 F#5 G5 G#5 A5 B5 C6 C#6 D6

English players in the concertina band world usually read treble clef music on both baritone and bass instruments. There are two or three of us who read bass clef on basses. Downward extended trebles - ie. baritone trebles and bass trebles - (which can go down another octave or more) are often played from bass clef for bass or baritone parts .

Anglo players would usually read treble clef on any size instrument as well - I certainly would.

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you to all who replied to my question. Your answers are very helpful in ensuring accuracy for what I am creating. For those who may be interested, you will find below a link to my website, which gives more information about the project and another to my Kickstarter campaign. Please feel free to share these links as broadly as you wish.

Kickstarter: 

Dennis

You MUST fix the soundtrack of that video. There’s a wrong note in the Ravel Bolero that comes back every time the tune is repeated. You’re playing it in E, which is fine (it’s originally in C), but the 10th note in the tune should be a minor 3rd below the 9th note, and you’re playing it a semitone lower than the 9th note. In the key of E, you’re playing a D# where there should be a C#, consistently. In the key of C, if you’re looking at the score, we’re talking about a B where there should be an A. The end of the first beat of the 2nd measure of the flute solo. You do want your potential customers to think you know something about music, don’t you?

image.png.3507c518d728ac406f2e32812faabe3c.png