Scandinavian Squeeze-In 2021 - happening virtually

Scandinavian Squeeze-In

"postponed indefinitely"

May 21-23, 2021

We're hoping to replace it with a series of smaller events spread over time.

Please see our web site -- http://www.nonce.dk/SSI/ -- for much more information.

(including the reasons for our decision)

Edited by JimLucas
major change
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, David Barnert said:

Is it reasonable to assume that English is the “lingua franca” of the event?

Yes.

But note that we are in the Central European time zone.  So 10 am for us is 4 am for US East Coast and 1 am for the Pacific Coast.  (9 am for the British.)

That's the reverse of the problem that I have with Zoom sessions hosted in the US.  I've just gotten up to join a shanty session in Seattle.  For them it starts at 8  pm; for me that's 5 am.  8^)

Lingus franca definitions:

1:late 17th century: from Italian, literally ‘Frankish tongue’

2: often capitalized : a common language consisting of Italian mixed with French, Spanish, Greek, and Arabic that was formerly spoken in Mediterranean ports.

3 : any of various languages used as common or commercial tongues among peoples of diverse speech English is used as a lingua franca among many airline pilots.

🙂

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, JimmyG said:

I don't know how to bring this up in a tactful / sensitive way way, but is it only in the UK that there are unfortunate implications to the word nonce?

Pretty much so.

I'm aware of the English slang meaning, but it has an older and more widespread meaning, which dates from Shakespeare, if not before, particularly in the expression "for the nonce" (i.e., "for the moment").  It also has a common meaning in computer programming:  A "nonce error" is some action/input that is an error "at the moment", but might be given a (currently unspecified) meaning in the future, so that it would be dangerous to depend on it causing things to stop.

Internet research indicates that the "new" meaning was created as an acronym in a prison in east London in the year 1978.  I was using the Shakespearean meaning before 1960 and using it in business for more than two decades before ever hearing of the new meaning.

Some folks may be sensitive about it, but I have no desire to assist in "cancelling" Shakespeare.

And FWIW, there are a number of common expressions in both Britain and America which are innocuous in the one country and shocking in the other.

Thanks for the clarification Jim.

I'm sorry. I hope I didn't aggravate or annoy you, my intentions were merely out of curiosity.

I certainly don't condone 'cancelling Shakespeare'!! 😅 I live just down the road from his old gaff (that means house here), and whilst I haven't come across his use of that word I am quite the fan.

However, we don't live 500 years ago, we live now. You're not quite 500 years old are you, Jim? Words and their use can change in their meaning, and we choose them at our own peril whilst understanding how others may perceive us. 

2 hours ago, JimLucas said:

older and more widespread

Older I'd agree with. Widespread? No chance! Maybe it is in the U.S?

Then again, I grew up in England. I appreciate the colloquialisms and vernacular I inherited is not going to reflect the rest of the english-speaking world. Perhaps if I was in the business of computer programming I would be more used to the casual use of the word. 

I do think the general understanding of that word is very different in all parts of the UK, than how you describe it. It is certainly widespread, and not limited to certain areas of London, or even England itself. I'm sort of surprised that it came into use as 'recently' as the 1970's, only 20 years before I was born.  I've heard it plenty.

I know if I mentioned around here I was going to a 'nonce meeting' I'd get funny looks at best, and a punch in the face at worst! 

All the best 😄

On 4/18/2021 at 9:39 PM, David Barnert said:

I have just noticed on the Scandinavian Squeeze-In web site that the event has been postponed by four weeks to 21-23 May 2021.

13 hours ago, Hasse said:

Hmm? I think that must be a mistake? Jim normally sticks to the end of April for the SSI weekend...

Why do you say such things when someone tells you they saw it with their own eyes without at least checking the web site first? I even threw you the link!

10 hours ago, David Barnert said:

Why do you say such things when someone tells you they saw it with their own eyes without at least checking the web site first? I even threw you the link!

well, I'm so sorry sir! I was just very tired yesterday evening after a looong day at home in front of the computer attending several Teams and Zoom meeting all day, and I had just recently visited the site and did a fast scroll down so I simply didn't reflect any changes then. My barin was off!!! That's why I with a questionmark wondered if that might have been a mistake on the website since I know Jim very much prefer end of April. And JIm answered, even in a mail wnich I didn't notice in my spam box untill later to day. I'm not a perfect person, but do never ever mean to offend or be an idiot!

Hope to see you in a session some day with a concertina and a good beer, less misunderstandings that way

So I'm very sorry and apologize to everyone who might have been offended by me yesterday

and know suddenly remember why I do not post here very often... 😉 So I'm of to bed, good night dear fellow concertina players

Edit: worst case spelling errors ...

Edited by Hasse

3 hours ago, Hasse said:

Hope to see you in a session some day with a concertina and a good beer, less misunderstandings that way

Cool. I’m planning to participate to some extent, given the time difference in New York. Maybe one of these years I’ll actually be able to attend in the flesh (but I’ve been saying that since the SSI first got started).

I've now managed to edit my original post here to show the new dates.

I meant to do it sooner, but at first couldn't see how.  The placement of controls had changed since the last time I had edited a post.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2021 at 6:49 PM, JimLucas said:

This will be our 21st SSI.

Or not... at least not as planned.

It turns out that we we just don't have the resources to run a Zoom program spanning the whole weekend.

But I'm now hoping that we can produce a series of much smaller events -- workshops, sessions, maybe even concerts -- which will not only be more appropriate to our capabilities but also more suitable to participation by folks in radically differing time zones.

Please see our web site -- http://www.nonce.dk/SSI/ -- for much more information.

(Now I'll go edit the first post in this thread, then send personal emails to all those who have already responded to the earlier announcement.  And I'll be soliciting ideas for what folks might want to see.)

By the way, the 30th annual German Concertina-Meeting took place online last weekend.

The saturday-evening concert included myself ( ES ), Jochen Riemer ( McCann, Chemnitzer ), Stefan Böhmer ( hard-rock-McCann! ), Rainer Süßmilch ( ES, all that jazz ), Rob Harbron and Dave Townsend. Alistair Andertson didn't make because of computer-problems... Best linup ever!? There should be a detailed report at the next ICA Jounal...

Edited by conzertino

On 5/12/2021 at 11:37 AM, JimLucas said:

Or not... at least not as planned.

It turns out that we we just don't have the resources to run a Zoom program spanning the whole weekend.

Thanks for trying!!! It can be a pain with all these online meetings, especially when you have to keep track of participants and dividing people into several different groups during the day, tiredsome and frustrating at time...

Looking forward to seeing you LIVE again