Any thoughts on what this might be?

Bill N

8 hours ago, Daniel Hersh said:

I am not sure, but the ends look a bit like the ones on lower-end Crabbs made from about the 1930s through 1950s.

I disagree; the low-end Crabb end plates are simple but elegant and crisply cut, obviously the work of a skilled professional. This one has a very crude amateur feel.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Little John said:

I'm no expert, but I was under the impression South African instruments often have ten or so folds. Could that be its origin?

I wondered about that.  I was under the impression that the "English" (i.e. not German) instruments there were all Wheatstones, but found an earlier thread here that talks about Lachenals pre-1900.  Those bellows look like original factory equipment- was Lachenal doing this sort of custom/export work?  Had the Boer style of playing evolved to the degree that there would have been a market for extended bellows? 

Edited by Bill N

15 hours ago, alex_holden said:

I disagree; the low-end Crabb end plates are simple but elegant and crisply cut, obviously the work of a skilled professional. This one has a very crude amateur feel.

Ok - I stand corrected.

9 hours ago, Bill N said:

I was under the impression that the "English" (i.e. not German) instruments there were all Wheatstones, but found an earlier thread here that talks about Lachenals pre-1900.  

Lachenal's were probably sending them to South Africa until they closed down in 1933 (and were taken over by Wheatstone's), thereafter there was only Crabb's and Wheatstone's (on a much bigger scale) to supply the market.

Those bellows look like original factory equipment- was Lachenal doing this sort of custom/export work?  Had the Boer style of playing evolved to the degree that there would have been a market for extended bellows?

The extended bellows were replacements that were made later in South Africa, the concertinas would have left their makers, in England, with only 5-, or 6-fold, bellows.