Upside down

How about this then? A concertina being played upside down. At first I thought the video had just been flipped, but I quickly realised that it isn't! A legitimate choice for people who are left handed? I wouldn't fancy operating the air button with my little finger though!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/esabESopz1c" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Messed up embedding the HTML, turns out the site does all the hard work for you.

Here's the video - 

Edited by JimmyG
Mild idiocy

That's nothing! 😉

My old friend Paddy Hayes borrowed Raymond Roland's Wheatstone Anglo but (being a button box player) found it handier to play it upside down, so he could use his right hand on the low notes.

He went in for a competition, and won it, finishing up qualifying for the All-Ireland Fleadh - and won that too!!!

Here he is on a Jeffries, playing with "The Godfather" Brian Rooney on fiddle:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimmyG said:

How about this then? A concertina being played upside down....

Is it upside-down, or is it rotated through 180 degrees in the horizontal plane? It looks like the latter

to me (Mr. Picky strikes again... 😏).

Whatever, I tried it, and managed to stumble through the first 3-4 bars of one of my 'warm-up' tunes

and then it all went to rat-sh*t - the left pinkie couldn't hack the air-button. I'm amazed that anyone

can play it at all like that...😎

• Haha 1

Stephen, that is just brilliant! 😃 Imagine how well he plays it right way up. Can you really be sure he wasn't just showing off?

Roger, it's upside down 😏

Edited by JimmyG

4 hours ago, lachenal74693 said:

Is it upside-down, or is it rotated through 180 degrees in the horizontal plane? It looks like the latter

to me (Mr. Picky strikes again... 😏).

Sure, it’s upside-down (rotated through 180° in the frontal plane). If it were rotated in the horizontal plane the hand straps would be further away than the buttons. What should be closer to the ground is closer to the ceiling (and right/left are likewise reversed). Only front and back are where they should be.

3 hours ago, JimmyG said:

Stephen, that is just brilliant! 😃 Imagine how well he plays it right way up. Can you really be sure he wasn't just showing off?

No, Paddy couldn't play it the "right way up" - he only borrowed (fellow button accordion player) Raymond Roland's one to try out, and it made more sense to him "upside-down". He always played it that way, and wasn't the sort to "show off".

7 hours ago, David Barnert said:

Sure, it’s upside-down (rotated through 180° in the frontal plane). If it were rotated in the horizontal plane the hand straps would be further away than the buttons. What should be closer to the ground is closer to the ceiling (and right/left are likewise reversed). Only front and back are where they should be.

OK, I see. slightly different use of terms, I think...

10 hours ago, Stephen Chambers said:

He always played it that way, and wasn't the sort to "show off

No doubt; I'm really impressed. After all, who cares how anyone plays, as long as they play? 

I was being mildly facetious, just joking!

1 hour ago, JimmyG said:

No doubt; I'm really impressed. After all, who cares how anyone plays, as long as they play? 

I was being mildly facetious, just joking!

Me too. I'm more bemused than impressed, but I know what you mean. When I tried this, I was

amazed that I managed to stagger through a few bars of anything before having it all go severely

pear-shaped...

Edited by lachenal74693
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Milesy said:

Some might say that all of us in Australia play upside down!!!

If the  music available on this or this Australian web site is anything to go by, I'm happy to play upside-down...

Edited by lachenal74693

8 hours ago, lachenal74693 said:

I'm more bemused than impressed

Well, colour me impressed because he can play better than I can right-way-up, and it don't look easy! 😉 Bemused too, of course. 

3 hours ago, Milesy said:

Some might say that all of us in Australia play upside down!!!

Some might say you're all rotated in the frontal plane! Sounds like an insult, but I don't think it's meant to.. I've never tried to rotate my frontal plane but it sounds like it'd hurt.

Edited by JimmyG