My new 30b anglo: Herrington classic by Seth Hamon

Hello everyone !Ā 
I am back from a 18 months concertina break trying out tin whistle (great instrument, super cheap comparing to concertinaĀ šŸ™„ ) but now having the concertina bug again (wallet šŸ˜Ŗ).Ā 
Just bought a 30b C/G anglo concertina and would like to share it with you (might help other in theirĀ search..).Ā 
The concertina is made by Seth Hamon and I believe the model is called ā€œHerrington classicā€.Ā 

Keep in mind I am a beginner wanting an intermediate or long term concertina:Ā 

Ā 

First the service provide by Seth was incredible from start to finish.Ā 
I asked a video of all the notes played individually and received it within an hour.Ā 
He is friendly and fully answered all my questions (can be a hassle ha ha). It didnā€™t take me a lot of time to decide to buy itā€¦
The concertina was incredibly well packed: A wooden box in a box in a box with a gap between them, nothing could go wrong. It took me a while to open itā€¦

The concertina is beautiful, craftmanship is top and it feel like a very sturdy and good quality concertina (wood differ from to other).Ā 
A pleasure in the hand. Specifications :Ā 
- Stainless steel end platesĀ 
- Action riveted
- 6 fold leather bellows with decorative papers
- Hanche Tipo A-Mano Voci Armonichie Italian made steel reeds
- Wheatstone Button LayoutĀ 

Ā 

I was hesitant because of the Wheatstone layout, my main goal is Irish music.Ā 
But I don't plan to play in session and maybe Iā€™ll be interested in playing other style in the futureā€¦Ā 

The sound is on the sweet side (what I was looking for), not harsh at all. It has a good volume and well balanced.Ā 

On the right side: the more volume, sweeter the sound. Played very slowly, sound does have a few ā€œparasiteā€.Ā 
But I believe tipo a mano reeds Ā get a little polished over time (no idea if this has something to do with it šŸ˜Š).

On the left side: Also pretty sweet sound, bass are well rounded, no resonance/cavern sound. They do play very well even at slow speed.Ā 

Bellow isnā€™t stiff at all and does notĀ squeak (or just a little). I have lots of pleasure on push/pull, getting a bouncy sound I really like.Ā 
Now I have no idea if it is a ā€œspeedā€ concertina but reeds speaks quickly.Ā 

Ā 

Please find a audio record in attachment to have an idea of the sound (Please donā€™t care about the tune, it took me a while to remember it ha ha).

Searching for a concertina was fun and a pain because I can only base myself on video/audio found on the net.Ā 
I live in Belgium and it is impossible to try it šŸ˜•
During my search, I had in mind: The Phoenix, The Minstrell, The Clare, Marcus, AP Jamesā€¦

I am very happy with this purchase, the sound is pleasing to me, quality is excellent, I know (hope) It will be years of fun (and not too much issue).Ā 
I have no connection with Seth, I just wanted to share.

Best
Nicolas
Ā 

Herrington1.jpg

Herrington2.jpg

Herrington3.jpg

sample.m4a

• Like 5

3 hours ago, papawemba said:

Hello everyone !Ā 
I am back from a 18 months concertina break trying out tin whistle (great instrument, super cheap comparing to concertinaĀ šŸ™„ ) but now having the concertina bug again (wallet šŸ˜Ŗ).Ā 
Just bought a 30b C/G anglo concertina and would like to share it with you (might help other in theirĀ search..).Ā 
The concertina is made by Seth Hamon and I believe the model is called ā€œHerrington classicā€.Ā 

Keep in mind I am a beginner wanting an intermediate or long term concertina:Ā 

Ā 

First the service provide by Seth was incredible from start to finish.Ā 
I asked a video of all the notes played individually and received it within an hour.Ā 
He is friendly and fully answered all my questions (can be a hassle ha ha). It didnā€™t take me a lot of time to decide to buy itā€¦
The concertina was incredibly well packed: A wooden box in a box in a box with a gap between them, nothing could go wrong. It took me a while to open itā€¦

The concertina is beautiful, craftmanship is top and it feel like a very sturdy and good quality concertina (wood differ from to other).Ā 
A pleasure in the hand. Specifications :Ā 
- Stainless steel end platesĀ 
- Action riveted
- 6 fold leather bellows with decorative papers
- Hanche Tipo A-Mano Voci Armonichie Italian made steel reeds
- Wheatstone Button LayoutĀ 

Ā 

I was hesitant because of the Wheatstone layout, my main goal is Irish music.Ā 
But I don't plan to play in session and maybe Iā€™ll be interested in playing other style in the futureā€¦Ā 

The sound is on the sweet side (what I was looking for), not harsh at all. It has a good volume and well balanced.Ā 

On the right side: the more volume, sweeter the sound. Played very slowly, sound does have a few ā€œparasiteā€.Ā 
But I believe tipo a mano reeds Ā get a little polished over time (no idea if this has something to do with it šŸ˜Š).

On the left side: Also pretty sweet sound, bass are well rounded, no resonance/cavern sound. They do play very well even at slow speed.Ā 

Bellow isnā€™t stiff at all and does notĀ squeak (or just a little). I have lots of pleasure on push/pull, getting a bouncy sound I really like.Ā 
Now I have no idea if it is a ā€œspeedā€ concertina but reeds speaks quickly.Ā 

Ā 

Please find a audio record in attachment to have an idea of the sound (Please donā€™t care about the tune, it took me a while to remember it ha ha).

Searching for a concertina was fun and a pain because I can only base myself on video/audio found on the net.Ā 
I live in Belgium and it is impossible to try it šŸ˜•
During my search, I had in mind: The Phoenix, The Minstrell, The Clare, Marcus, AP Jamesā€¦

I am very happy with this purchase, the sound is pleasing to me, quality is excellent, I know (hope) It will be years of fun (and not too much issue).Ā 
I have no connection with Seth, I just wanted to share.

Best
Nicolas
Ā 

Herrington1.jpg

Herrington2.jpg

Herrington3.jpg

sample.m4a 1.82 MB Ā· 20 downloads

Congratulations ! Fine instrument, loooks beautful and sounds well.

Ā 

And I want hee to confirm, that al you say about Sthe Hamon is right.

Ā 

And I would say more after having had some story with him.

Ā 

I appreciated him as being very fair and generous.

Ā 

Joachim

• Confused 1

Just now, JoachimDelp said:

Congratulations ! Fine instrument, loooks beautful and sounds well.

Ā 

And I want hee to confirm, that al you say about Sthe Hamon is right.

Ā 

And I would say more after having had some story with him.

Ā 

I appreciated him as being very fair and generous.

Ā 

Joachim

I feel the need to explain a bit better, what I have stated bbefore:

Ā 

I mpretended to buy from ermyn a concertina he offered at ebay.

Ā 

It idĀ  not function due to my faults.

Ā 

He resolved the problem I have created, partially due to my low sight problem quickly .

Ā 

If you Seth read this, i apologize once more,that i caused problems to you.-

Ā 

Hope to meet Seth, when tavelling this year to USA, if Covid wil allow.

Ā 

I am o sure if I should or not have written this, but I felt s I had to do it.

Ā 

Joachim

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, JoachimDelp said:

I feel the need to explain a bit better, what I have stated bbefore:

Ā 

I mpretended to buy from ermyn a concertina he offered at ebay.

Ā 

It idĀ  not function due to my faults.

Ā 

He resolved the problem I have created, partially due to my low sight problem quickly .

Ā 

If you Seth read this, i apologize once more,that i caused problems to you.-

Ā 

Hope to meet Seth, when tavelling this year to USA, if Covid wil allow.

Ā 

I am o sure if I should or not have written this, but I felt s I had to do it.

Ā 

Joachim

Ā 

If anyone doesnā€™t fully understand what Joachim is talking about Iā€™ll explain. Ā He had one of my concertina listings on his eBay watch list and accidentally bought it and let me know right away before I shipped the instrument so Ā I was able to just send a refund right away and re-listĀ the auction.

Anyways, itā€™s not a problem at all Joachim,Ā I got the auction relistedĀ and sorted out. Ā I actually did the same thing you did last year when I accidentallyĀ bought an Accordion on eBay that was on my watch list. Ā I fell asleep with my phone in my hand scrolling through eBay and somehow bought a $2000 accordion in my sleep. Ā The seller understood and just as I did with you got me refunded quickly. Ā I try to not fall asleep looking through eBay anymore, šŸ˜‚. Ā 
Ā 

Anyways, donā€™t lose sleep over it, everyone makes mistakes.... Weā€™re human.

Ā 

Cheers, Seth

Edited by Seth
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Seth said:

Ā 

If anyone doesnā€™t fully understand what Joachim is talking about Iā€™ll explain. Ā He had one of my concertina listings on his eBay watch list and accidentally bought it and let me know right away before I shipped the instrument so Ā I was able to just send a refund right away and re-listĀ the auction.

Anyways, itā€™s not a problem at all Joachim,Ā I got the auction relistedĀ and sorted out. Ā I actually did the same thing you did last year when I accidentallyĀ bought an Accordion on eBay that was on my watch list. Ā I fell asleep with my phone in my hand scrolling through eBay and somehow bought a $2000 accordion in my sleep. Ā The seller understood and just as I did with you got me refunded quickly. Ā I try to not fall asleep looking through eBay anymore, šŸ˜‚. Ā 
Ā 

Anyways, donā€™t lose sleep over it, everyone makes mistakes.... Weā€™re human.

Ā 

Cheers, Seth

No Seth, this interpretaton is also not toally correct, but you do not kow alll details and background :)

I donĀ“t feel acused and donĀ“t feel the need to deend myself, since are ot accusing me. This is understoodd.

Ishal give my version within a day or two, since now without almost hae slept enouugh and have to keave home for r#travelling all day today, IĀ  do notĀ  do it know. I am still half drunk due to lack of sleep.

iT IS NOTHING DRAMTIC; BUT FUNNY AN PRIVATE. Nevertheles for entertainment and lougin the story is good enough, the totally true story :)

I am called a chaty Concertinist, and tis is I amĀ  afaid true, but ceranly not only chatty.

Ā 

And the most important point for me, that my stomach tells me Yiu are a great fuy and it must be a pleasure o do business with you. :)

Ā 

1 hour ago, JoachimDelp said:

Ā 

iT IS NOTHING DRAMTIC; BUT FUNNY AN PRIVATE. Nevertheles for entertainment and lougin the story is good enough, the totally true story :)

I am called a chaty Concertinist, and tis is I amĀ  afaid true, but ceranly not only chatty.

Ā 

Ā Your right,Ā it was your son who accidentally bought the concertina withĀ your eBay account while youĀ were in the hospital. Ā 

Ā 

Good thing is we worked together and got it fixed fast.Ā Ā I hope your doing well šŸ˜Š and ourĀ house and shop is open to you anytime you want to visit.

Ā 

Seth

On 3/30/2021 at 8:22 AM, Seth said:

Ā Your right,Ā it was your son who accidentally bought the concertina withĀ your eBay account while youĀ were in the hospital. Ā 

Ā 

Good thing is we worked together and got it fixed fast.Ā Ā I hope your doing well šŸ˜Š and ourĀ house and shop is open to you anytime you want to visit.

Ā 

Seth

Yes I am well ! Thank yu Seth.

But I annonced to tell the tota truth :)

And for one or the other it may remind to smilar expiences.

Ā 

So:

Ahuman fing clicked the button "Biy Now " not eally inntionted and the accdent happned.

Ā 

The concertina has bee bid and won as it would haven desiraby b y me.

Ā 

But, ???, I donĀ“nt stil excatly how it could happen.

Ā 

The concetina sas bee payed from my wifeĀ“s Paypal account. And she thiks I am v ey ill and cazy speding too much money for conertinas and cannot understand why I am doig this.

We can establisĀ  a far and raional comnication abut thi isshe-

For netter understanind i mst say, that my family only a few weeks ago, had o live nearby he limits of a reasonable standard of Life.

Ā 

And only some short time ago, I receive luykjly at the age of 73 !!!

a pension from the Spanish Government, where I ahve been living and working the bigger art of my Life and addianally it happened, that I received back draw payent of about 12 montsh. 12 x motlhly monthly pension, which has bee some thousands of Euros. this allowed to pay off all my debts, accumuae over the years :) !!!

Ā 

And the rest now is pend and translaed in a nice numbrt of Concertinas. a ew beautiful ones,. nice payable ones, and the b igger numb er for leaning even allowing me to destroy , in my learning by doiong process. And I couold alllow me to order to Dana numeer 093 Angolo, which is ow in cosruction and mayb e piked by me personall still this year.

It is supposed to be the best instrument Dana will have ever made :), :). :) That is our deal !!!!

Ā 

Well my wife at abut 1.00 h amĀ  shouted deseparately to heaven, when she fund ssethĀ“s concertina on her account, sayingh bad words about my sonĀ“s father.

Ā 

My so did dĀ  all he coud to mae possible that this money could return to his motherĀ“s account, used my Paypal account to transfer the amout to his mothes accoutunt.

Ā 

As revenge and men of pressure she kept the oney and did not return to me as a kind of compenation of her Concrtina sufferings from my side.

When I came back home from cinic, i supported the situation peacefuully , trying to re-establlish peace-

Meanwhile I have received my moey back, just a few days ago,

And yes, I mzst confesss, I suffer from Concertinitusm and I am very happy with ikkness,Ā  and hae done meanwhile my firt succesful repair and progress.

And I culd convince my wife, that she is my b eloved nd b eatiful wife to whjom I owe prt of my health and hainesss.

Ā 

But long time relationships somestime it occurs that frome heaen n young years,. ne entres into a hell after sme 4Ɵ yeas of partnership, but I achieved also that she s ccepting with pain, that her young husband, finay - when not to far awy from...........

finally will not support educational presure from anybvod, but onl wil accept kind adie and tpps, but at the end will do what his conscience and sense if resonsabitly - yes, I have it :), allows him to do.

Ā 

I am tgrying to ive finally my live, withut presusure of a great men, but terribe father, teachers, still beatin g the kids in the olde times,Ā  and the the dicty<roship of a well tinking bu equivted wife, and teh demans and pressure a man suffers nd enjoys hwen is under the pressur and obligation to care and educate children succesfully, and withut bein my exlsuve merit, has now 5 sonderful daghters, one well appeared you ngman and hard working son, plus six grand- schildren, plus the bew memer of my marvelous family, son in law, aughter in law and artners all well aduced, sme extremeyl succssfulll ylready in youn g years, well

Ā 

about 18 pesons to love and to enjoy.

Ā 

Well, I ahve now surpassed by fr, what i prende to wirte and most likely not reaaly of your nerst. Butg it is done.

Ā 

Perhaps there is one or the other smiling now. I am afraid I amĀ  ot the ony one whos occasioallly has been or is on conlct with his relaes and the world, due to his illl and crazy relation ship to fre reeds :)

But we are ot only happy, we are living fulifilled Life thnnksĀ  tothe concertina nd the music and our forum and concertina friends

Ā 

We are sometimes adly treated Minority in tis world, with our own Langauge, Culture :) and Lawa:)

We shuld demand and fight for Autoomy fr ourĀ  Gvernmenss :)

Ā 

Viva la Cncertin a !

Ā 

Bye Joachjm the chattyx concertinist an

• Haha 2