George Jones salvation army ( Blood and Fire ) Anglo Concertina. G / D

I have a Jones 26 Button anglo concertina . I believe its a Wheatstone layout . I have the button layout diagram for the main rows , however I am missing the upper row ( three buttons either side  L / R on the diagram . Is there a Wheatstone / Jones diagram that shows the full 26 button layout . Thanks for reading.

Edited by Lachal

• Lachal changed the title to George Jones salvation army ( Blood and Fire ) Anglo Concertina. G / D
On 3/27/2021 at 4:43 PM, cohen said:

That layout looks to be a C/G 26 key Stephen, so same idea would apply but you'd need to drop it a fourth to get to a G/D layout.

Whoops, that'll teach me to post in a hurry (we were just about to go out at the time), without looking hard enough at my source (which suggested it was for Ab/Eb, and I took it at face value) - though I never saw such a thing as a Jones Salvation Army 26-key in anything but Ab/Eb.

The Salvation Army tutor book that I'm familiar with is H. H. Booth's 1888 Instructions for the Salvation Army Concertina (which I discovered on a research trip to the Bodleian Library, Oxford) that is basiclly a chord book for a 26-key Jones in Ab/Eb. But I guess the 1905 C/G diagram may have come as as big a surprise to existing Salvationist Anglo players as it was to me...

What I should have quoted was this then, from member lachenal74693:

11  12  13                           11  12   13
                   A/B F/E♭ E/F#                         A/B F/E♭ E/F#
                   Left Hand        Accidentals           Right Hand    

1    2    3    4    5                          1    2     3     4    5
     A♭/E♭ E♭/G A♭/B♭ C/C# E♭/F                       A♭/G  C/B♭ E♭/C# A♭/F C/G
         Left Hand                   A♭-Row                 Right Hand

6    7    8    9    10                              6    7    8    9   10
   E♭/B♭ B♭/D E♭/F G/A♭ B♭/C                            E♭/D G/F B♭/A♭ E♭/C G/D
         Left Hand                   E♭-Row               Right Hand

That accidental fingering, as I've pointed out previously, is the same as Jeffries used - though it seems to have originated with Jones.

Edited by Stephen Chambers
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 3/27/2021 at 10:26 PM, Stephen Chambers said:

What I should have quoted was this then, from member lachenal74693:

I don't remember posting that diagram, but as Luke Hillman has tagged this, thus at least notionally 'reviving' 

the thread, I'll add that that text-based diagram has the notes designated as push/pull - just in case anyone

looks and is confused...

Edited by lachenal74693

I have a 26-button Jones anglo in G/D and I will gladly share the note layout diagram with you. If you send me a pm with your E-mail address, I'll scan the diagram and attach it to an E-mail.

22 hours ago, lachenal74693 said:

I don't remember posting that diagram, but as Luke Hillman has tagged this, thus at least notionally 'reviving' 

the thread [...]

Oh, don't mind me. I'm just making note of interesting historical layouts these days. Didn't mean to revive anything!

...but since I'm here, here's Jones' 26-key Salvation Army layout for C/G, Ab/Eb, and G/D, all based on the original C/G diagram in this post (whose right-hand accidentals differ slightly from your diagram, Roger).