Folk Radio

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Drystone

Just to let people know that the archive of last Sunday's Make if Folky on 209 radio is now available.

There are a couple of superb tracks from Alan Day's concertina compilation - blistering playing indeed. There are plenty more concertinas, plus some excellent old and new British fok music - even the slow ballads are sung with spirit. It's probably the best folk radio show around at the moment, methinks.

The link in Christian Mayne (the presenter)s post either directly above or below this, depending, will take you there.

Have fun!

Guest Drystone

We are privileged to live in such rich times for folk radio, it seems.

There's another new online radio station which has the potential to be a major folk music resource if it gets the support. RadioBritFolk started on 1st July for a 3 month trial.

They're hoping to have several radio broadcasts each week, looking at different types of music - this week's include smallpipes presented by Vicky Swan, songs of the North East presented by Jez Lowe, and songs from around the Humber - that one's got concertinas. A documentary on Fred Jordan as well. There will also be help learning to play instruments, plus lots of other stuff. Many leading artists from the British folk scene are involved, having spent several years planning it.

It's at www.radiobritfolk.co.uk

I had heard from Christian that he would be featuring the compilation and the first radio station to do so.Sadly I got in to only hear the last five minutes,I have since then clicked over to try to download it and you are still featuring your last show so I assumed that it did not happen.

In passing I am getting a fault come up every time I click onto the page where the female Morris Dancers are.

My thanks if it did happen.

Al

Guest Drystone

Alan - rest assured that it did happen, was very complimentary, and the archive can still be heard. After reading your comments I've gone to the page with the female morris dancers and clicked on the ogg vorbis link and am listening to Mandy Murray as I type. I'm tempted to buy the CD when it comes out just on the strength of that one track.

Hope you manage to hear it - good luck..

No problems this morning listened to the programme over breakfast.

Mandy has the most unusual style of any Irish player I have ever heard,I found her like many for this collection by chance,I went to watch John Kirkpatrick at a Folk Club in Lewes and was there to obviously watch and listen to John`s playing,but mainly to discuss the project.In the course of the evening I had a chat with Vic Smith who runs the Folk Club and also jointly runs the Folk programme on BBC Radio Brighton,during our discussion I mentioned two things that I was looking for Anglo players with unusual styles and that the archive recording I had of Scan Tester was not good enough ,owing to the poor recording quality.Vic immediately mentioned Mandy and then said he had a lot of Scan Tester archive recordings if I was interested.

I phoned Mandy and joined her at her weekly session in Brighton.The track played on the 209 radio station was the first tune set I heard her play and I asked her to record that for the collection.She also plays a tune written by her X partner called Mandy Murrays and is one of the most emotional performances I have ever heard.I just wanted to drive down to Brighton and give her a hug when I heard it.

A lovely player and even nicer to know.

I am really pleased you chose this as one of your pieces.

Chris sherburn of course has already been acclaimed for his recordings

Al

Guest Drystone

Glad you found it! I liked the story of your lucky night out.

Thanks for the info. about Mandy Murray. I'd never heard of her before hearing that track, despite her having been an All Ireland champion, but being fairly new to concertina playing and players, that didn't surprise me. There's not much on the 'net about her - but one site suggests that she's working on a solo cd - do you know anything about that? Since buying my concertina a couple of months ago I've listened to many players whose skills I admire greatly, but Mandy's track is the first thing I've heard so far that's hit me between the eyes to say "That's exactly the style I'm looking for" - I'd love to hear more of her music.

I'm looking forward to getting your CD as it's going to give me loads of ideas.

I am not aware that Mandy is working on a CD and initially I thought I had the only recordings of her, but she told me recently that she made a record in her teens about the time she won All Ireland.I will ask her for you when I talk to her again. Two more of her tracks are on the CD for you to listen to,including "Mandy Murrays"I mentioned in my last posting

Al

Edited by Alan Day

Guest Drystone

Alan, thanks for promising to ask.

The rumour about the CD is from a link to a biography of Mandy linked to an advert from a concert of hers at London Irish Centre in October. October of which year? - not sure as I can't seem to find a year on the website, so it might be years old.

Thanks again

The two pieces played on 209radio were wonderful. But....in light of a couple of related threads, I was a little disappointed that they were both Irish music. It would really have been great if some English music had been played, like the brilliant set by John Watcham, or some of the Will Duke, Roger Digby, Rogers Edwards, Andy Turner ....