Another Descriptive Word For The Concertina!

Mark, I'm now very interested in hearing that CD.

Antiquated? Well, that's right up my alley. I live in an antique cottage filled with antique stuff. My interest in music leans toward the antique tradition. Until three years ago I always had an elderly Mercedes I was in the midst of "gettin' right" (one I was sure had achieved this status broke down with the family and bulldog just outside Woodstock, NH on a very cold New Years day and my long suffering wife put an end to my "hobby").

Yup, antiquated works for me! ;) Just wish I could "aquire an antique Wheatstone...but that's another thread.

I just wish that these journalists would spend more time on research and less time on making assumptions. Unfortuantely examples of poor journalism can be found the world over...

The antiquated instrument player is our c.netter in Pompano Beach, Florida, Brian Humphrey. You can hear extended clips of this album at the cdbaby website. Brian's playing is not featured as heavily as we would want, but you can hear him on Shenandoah and elsewhere.

While you're at cdbaby, check out Grand Picnic's cuts. This is Jody Kruskal's group. I find Galician Waltz and Puff Adder Quickstep especially interesting. I believe I've tracked down the dots to the Galician Waltz, if anyone besides me finds it irresistible.

If you're not previously familiar with CDBaby, you'll find lots of good stuff there, with long sample clips and good prices. I have no financial interest (which has been a lifelong problem).

Edited by Stephen Mills

It reminds me of a review I read in the local paper the other week of the duo Atwater Donnelly. The review said they played "an astonishing array of unusual instruments" and went on to list mountain dulcimer, tinwhistle, banjo, mandolin.... I thought, "those aren't unusual instruments!"...

And then I thought, "oh, yeah, to most folks I guess they are!"

Wasn't till later that I realized that the newspaper got the quote right off Atwater Donnelly's web site!

While you're at cdbaby, check out  Grand Picnic's cuts.  This is Jody Kruskal's group.  I find Galician Waltz and Puff Adder Quickstep especially interesting.  I believe I've tracked down the dots to the Galician Waltz, if anyone besides me finds it irresistible.

We've been playing Galician for years (introduced to it by Grand Picnic), one of my alltime favorite waltzes. It's always fun popping that one on an unsuspecting piano player, who's lulled into complacency with the A part, then trips over the chords on the B.

Puff Adder is great, too. Not hard to play, but hard to get the same sound as Jody without a G/D.

Edited by Jim Besser

I see that I've been outed! :lol:

As Stephen says, Ballad of America Volume 1 is available for sampling and purchase from CD Baby. I provided backup harmonies on three tracks of Matthew's album: Shenandoah, Once More a Lumbering Go, and Streets of Laredo. The antiquated instrument in question is my 1917 Wheatstone extended treble.

The recording process was fairly far along by the time Matthew pulled me into the project, so he provided me with some rough mixes on CD a couple of weeks before my time in the studio. My task was find harmonies that worked with the rough mixes that he provided.

For the most part, I wrote out my harmonies in advance and then tweaked them in the studio to give Matthew what he wanted for each track. However, on Streets of Laredo, I also borrowed from the "A" part of Svensk Anna's Waltz to create a countermelody.

Brian