Here's something different to the harmonic arrangements of tunes I usually do - 

I wanted to see how my 20b anglo would sound with a piano accordion and what combinations of textures might work.   This is my first experiment - with a single line in the anglo. (I might swap roles and see what comes out..)  So, here the accordion is providing all the "accompaniment/countermelody/textures".   I love playing around with alternatives to the usual "oom pah" accompaniment associated with the PA.

I was actually going to record this piece on two accordions* but just couldn't help picking up the anglo and having a quick little go - hence this!  I fancy working up something for solo anglo at some point.  Back to normal service very shortly :P

* I came up with the tune originally for a series of canal inspired short tunes for a video by British Waterways - they were inspired by walking along stretches of the Worcester and Birmingham canal (especially Tardebigge lock flight and round Hanbury/Stoke Works) in Worcestershire.  I wrote a duet for two accordions recently which this video is based on, musically, expanding the ideas, so that I could play it with a local accordionist friend who has really got into composing for the instrument.

Edited by Kathryn Wheeler
  • Like 5

Thanks for that!  So useful.  The Anglo is really taking the lead there with the accordion doing a light rhythmic accompaniment throughout - I like the added harmony notes in the Anglo (I would definitely like to play around with adding in more harmonic material!)

8 hours ago, Kathryn Wheeler said:

I forgot to say!

If anyone has any videos/examples of piano accordion and anglo combinations that you think work well, I'd love to see/hear them!

Well, in my band Frog Hammer I play alongside a fantastic piano accordionist, but with the general mayhem of the band, you don't really hear us together.

• Like 1

Thanks Jim! Goodness, that looks so much fun! I miss a good dance.  That is very toe-tapping indeed.  Do you tend to mostly play the tune in that ensemble or the lovely acoompanied harmonic stuff we listen to here?  How is it playing standing up for long periods?  I have done that on a piano accordion but for some reason I just havent ever played standing up with an anglo yet - I should!  I wonder if it can lend more of a weight/emphasis.

29 minutes ago, Kathryn Wheeler said:

Thanks Jim! Goodness, that looks so much fun! I miss a good dance.  That is very toe-tapping indeed.  Do you tend to mostly play the tune in that ensemble or the lovely acoompanied harmonic stuff we listen to here?  How is it playing standing up for long periods?  I have done that on a piano accordion but for some reason I just havent ever played standing up with an anglo yet - I should!  I wonder if it can lend more of a weight/emphasis.

In this band, my main job is to play the basic tune; the sax and accordion players are wonderful improvisors, and they do the creative stuff.  And the accordionist (and these days the Harpejji player) draw from a palette of chords not available to a lowly Anglo player.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim Besser said:

And the accordionist (and these days the Harpejji player) draw from a palette of chords not available to a lowly Anglo player.

Wow, I’d never heard of a Harpejji when I first saw this an hour ago, but now I’ve read Wikipedia, seen the Ted Talk, and listened to dozens of videos of Harpejji players knocking out everything from Bohemian Rhapsody and Norwegian Wood to Beethoven’s “Moonlight” Sonata. I wish it had bellows so I’d be justified going on about it here. But I can say that with its uniform whole-tone-row layout it has a lot in common with the Hayden Concertina. I wonder if there’s a music store around here where I can get my fingers on one...

Jim, is your guy any good?

1 hour ago, David Barnert said:

Wow, I’d never heard of a Harpejji when I first saw this an hour ago, but now I’ve read Wikipedia, seen the Ted Talk, and listened to dozens of videos of Harpejji players knocking out everything from Bohemian Rhapsody and Norwegian Wood to Beethoven’s “Moonlight” Sonata. I wish it had bellows so I’d be justified going on about it here. But I can say that with its uniform whole-tone-row layout it has a lot in common with the Hayden Concertina. I wonder if there’s a music store around here where I can get my fingers on one...

Jim, is your guy any good?

Yes, he's a terrific musician and has picked up the Harpejji very quickly.

He got it after our bass player died; his plan was to take up some of the functions of the electric bass, while also doing some chording and melody. It's an incredibly adaptable instrument. And i have heard the comparison to the Hayden before.

I've actually thought about buying one, mostly to have something to play when the arthritis in my thumbs makes concertina playing impossible. From my observation of our guy playing, it involves very little stress on the hands and wrists.

I think you have to buy direct from the manufacturer in Glen Arm, Md; I'm not sure they've found their way into stores.