Jeffries 20 key C/G metal work issue

Hello all ,

I have a very nice Jeffries 20 key Anglo, it’s a lovely thing to play , light and fast . 
Although it’s cosmetically quite nice , one end has had a few repairs to the metal work , these have been done with what appears to be standard “soft solder” . The integrity of the repair is sound but looks horrible ( see photo) 

could anyone recommend either a way I can effect a better repair , or someone who would undertake this kind of of work for me ?
thanks in advance 48A8202B-EA4F-4942-BE8A-9A661EE34E2A.thumb.jpeg.e1f2f531ed810a74609ef9d2ad30d7bb.jpeg

If it wasn't for the solder being proud of the surface I don't think anyone would notice. If it is also repaired on the rear side then I would simply dress the front up with a fine file. IF its's not built up on the back then do it, then as above.

I am curious as what the extra hole in the corner is for.

Hello folks , 

Des , I will post some photos soon .

the dimensions are very similar to my 30 key Crabb Anglo .

Yes the 20 key Jeffries is light and very quick, sound wise can’t tell the difference between it and its bigger siblings.

Clive , thanks for the tip,  the soft solder repair looks old and is very solid.

Im being fussy, but I like my instruments to be at their best both cosmetically and sound wise. 🙂

At a guess I’d say that the extra hole in the side was used to hold a small music stand, I’ve seen similar things on old “Sally Army “ instruments.

The ends may be German silver, but what I've seen is they are sheet metal, tin? The outer surface has a nickel coating. If this is the case, if a jeweler heats the cracks enough to melt the new silver solder properly, it could discolor the nickel coating around the repair. This could explain the low temp lead solder repair. You could do as suggested and carefully work the outer solder down flush providing there is a good amount under the crack, but this will make the repaired area weaker. 

Jeffries ends are definitely not tin!

The nickel silver material is often finished with nickel plating which can show as a thin surface layer when it wears through.  Hard soldering won’t damage the metal but the soldered area will need to be polished afterwards.  Jewellers understand this.