Recording

Although I have been on this site for a number of years I have never posted a recording of my efforts .I have tried recording on my phone and on my PC it sounds awful .I play live in Folk Clubs and have been told that my sound is good ,so I hope its not just me .Can any one suggest what equipment I should use to get a better result .Thanks Bob

Not sure why you posted the same identical topic twice, I’ll respond here in the more recent one. In another thread, I wrote:

On 1/13/2021 at 4:42 PM, David Barnert said:

Everything I’ve ever posted on YouTube or SoundCloud was recorded using the internal microphone on my MacBook. It may not be professional quality, but it’s perfectly adequate for recordings that are generally going to be heard through a computer speaker. Since the left side (lower notes, bigger reeds) of my Hayden Duet concertina  plays louder than the right (higher notes, smaller reeds), I tried to position myself with the right side closer to the computer when doing audio-only, but for the videos I didn’t concern myself with that and it didn’t seem to be a problem.

Since the pandemic and my experiments with JamKazam, I bought a pair of Sterling Audio SL230MP Matched Pair, Medium Diaphragm Condenser Microphones and an external audio interface (I mount the mics at right angles), but I haven’t recorded any SoundClouds or YouTubes since.

I should add that I’ve since made a video using only an iPhone 11 (camera and mic) and it sounded fine. I haven’t posted it anywhere.

Here’s a picture of the right angle mics:

mics.jpg

And the audio interface, a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2:

scarlett-2i2-hero-860-330_2.png

There are several options.

A good handheld recorder like the Zoom H4n is incredibly convenient, and makes very good quality recordings; that's what I used to prefer, and still use to record band rehearsals and the like.

A potential step up in quality but down in convenience: using your computer, good mics and an audio interface. Like David, I use a Scarlett 2i2, which enables me to use decent mics (Shure sm57s) with my Mac.

The crossed mic arrangement pictured above helps with the problem of sound bouncing from side to side in stereo recordings, but in my experience you get better sound quality by having one mic on each side of the instrument, pointed to the end and placed close.  

Software - there are many digital audio apps, many fairly expensive, but the free ones (Garageband comes with the Mac OS, Audacity works on all platforms) are fine for most purposes.

The handheld is a great all in one solution; if you don't already have good mics, it's certainly the most cost effective one.  If you are recording in an environment with some background noise - a furnace fan, for example, or a noisy computer fan - the handheld is more prone to picking it up.

• Like 1

I should have added that I wish to Record me Singing and playing , if that makes any difference .Should I record both together or maybe buy extra equipment ,get technical and record separate tracts for Music and Song, then add them together.Bob

20 minutes ago, Kelteglow said:

I should have added that I wish to Record me Singing and playing , if that makes any difference .Should I record both together or maybe buy extra equipment ,get technical and record separate tracts for Music and Song, then add them together.Bob

That complicates things a bit.

A decent handheld should do fine for you.

31 minutes ago, Kelteglow said:

I should have added that I wish to Record me Singing and playing

10 minutes ago, Jim Besser said:

A decent handheld should do fine for you.

One common mistake that people make when singing or talking into a handheld mic: They hold it vertically and speak (or sing) across it, or towards it from an angle. Most mics are directional. It will pick up the sound much better if pointed toward your mouth.

7 hours ago, Kelteglow said:

I should have added that I wish to Record me Singing and playing

For self-accompanied singing, I use a Tascam recording device, which produces a WAV file that I can edit in Audacity. You may have to experiment a bit with whether the recorder should be nearer to your mouth or to the instrument, but there's no witchcraft involved! It's just like a self-accompanied gig. If you want two instruments, it gets more complicated, with multi-track work.

Cheers,

john

On 2/24/2021 at 1:55 PM, Jim Besser said:

Your point about handhelds picking up background noise is great!  [edit: sorry my quote didn’t work!] I was wondering if that was the case, based on my own experiences 

Edited by Kathryn Wheeler