Interesting... Thing? on The Saleroom

I was just checking The Saleroom for fun, and I came across this. I was quite intrigued, and decided to put it here in case anyone else was interested or knew anything about it.  It appears to be a homemade anglo concertina, but it is very unusual in the construction, strap design and number of buttons, sides and bellows folds. There is only one photo, and the auctioneer's estimate is very low, suggesting they don't have much experience in concertinas. Any ideas as to what it is?

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/peter-francis/catalogue-id-peter-10231/lot-ea107157-36e3-4d2d-b998-acd801098c43

Thanks,

Oskar

Edited by Squeezebox Of Delights

Some similar 'home-made' concertinas were sold by the same auction house last year. If I remember rightly, they were made by someone local and all seemed to be individually designed with bellows similar to those shown. This may be one of those up for auction again.

Peter

• 2 months later...
On 2/24/2021 at 9:31 PM, Anglogeezertoo said:

This concertina seems to have been thru this same saleroom on the 09th December 2020 

here  :- Auction

It has 12 buttons on one end and the other end is blank!!! - a one handed 'tina!!

No air button.

Jake

Jake, that sounds weird - but not out of the question. 

It might have suited Dave Brady of Swan Arcade in that case.

Anyone else remember the one armed 'tina player?

1 hour ago, Simon Rosser said:

Anyone else remember the one armed 'tina player?

Is this what you are referring to?

Someone once told me they were aware of at least one instrument which had been modified by a professional fettler for a player who only had the use of one arm...

Edited by lachenal74693

I remember watching Dave Brady play .

He played with the concertina strapped to his leg.

He was an inspiration to anyone who has a disability.

He certainly played with a strong style and his playing was much admired.

Al

Years ago I met a fellow in New York state who only had the use of one hand, and he played a German "anglo" with the left-hand end closed off and strapped around his thigh.  He used it mainly for song accompaniment and did a good show.

Alas, I don't remember his name.

7 hours ago, JimLucas said:

Years ago I met a fellow in New York state who only had the use of one hand, and he played a German "anglo" with the left-hand end closed off and strapped around his thigh.

6 hours ago, Mikefule said:

I have seen a chap who played one end of a duet, with the other end blanked off and strapped to his thigh. 

So there we have an anglo and a duet. I guess it wouldn’t make much sense playing an EC that way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1