CC Rochelle-2

As has become habit of late, I was reading about concertina history to relax before bed, and a series of links brought me to Concertina Connection's site, where something caught my eye: 

http://www.concertinaconnection.com/rochelle-2 anglo.htm

Looks like a smaller Rochelle with a flat mounted reed pan. Glad to see something more in line with their other hybrid designs for not much more money than the original Rochelle. 

Zach

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TapTheForwardAssist said:

And if there is to be an Elise-2, will it be a smaller box with the same key array, or a same-size box but with added accidentals?

Based on what we've heard in the past, I wouldn't expect Wim to change the note layout of the Elise. Whenever questions arise about, for example, offering a G/D Rochelle or Clover model or more notes on the Elise, my recollection is that he says he is selling what the worldwide market is buying, not just a single genre of music or nation of music makers. I can see his point - it is sales volume that supports creating so many new models, which is something for which Wim deserves significant credit. I can't think of another maker that offers as wide a range as he does.

If I am mistaken in this impression I'm sure someone will correct me. 😉

Ken

I wrote to Wim Wakker because I had a couple of questions about the Rochelle 2, and here's what he wrote back.

Wim writes:

"We will continue building the standard Rochelle (and Jackie/Jack/Elise) models for the foreseeable future (we passed the 10.000 mark early 2020 for these models).

The R2 is made at out new (modern) shop. This shop will also be building the updated Jackie/Jack and Elise models (probably late2021/2022). The R2 availability will be limited at least till July. We’re fine tuning the production process and material supply continuity. This works best with building small series (10-15 instruments per month).   

The reasons for the amplifonic [flat-mounted reed] design of the R2 are space, the R2 is just a wide as a vintage anglo, and reed harmonics/performance. The R2 has the same reed amplitude profile, and therefore harmonics performance as all the other hybrid anglos out there, because they all have the same basic design. We wanted to offer an entry level model that was standard sized (both flat to flat, and width), and had the performance profile of the other hybrids. The standard Rochelle is much more mellow sounding because of the angled reed blocks, and might be more suited for someone who just wants a ‘nice’ sounding instrument for playing at home."

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I decided to get a Rochelle-2 before its price get any higher, and here she is, in Tokyo, Japan. 

I have uploaded some movies on my  YouTube channel so that you can actually listen to the sound it makes. 

Due to the camera property, R2 in the movies may look big, but it is more or less the same size as Minstrel. 

If you have any questions about R2, I will be glad to answer. 

Totani

• Like 7

The R2 looks 100% better. The orig units Rochelle, Jack, etc.. are all good functional instruments. But, to me, visually, not inspiring.

hopefully, they will make the J2s 48 buttons and nicer looking.

And then, a higher button count Elise. 

I would definitely grab an Elise if had more range to give Hayden a shot.

I would be very interested to see some photographs of the inside of a Rochelle 2 - the action board and the reed pan.

(I doubt very much that Wim will make a Jack/Jackie 2 or an Elise 2 with a high button count.  AFAICT he is using flat-mounted reeds which limits the number of reeds he can accomodate to something in the mid-30 range).

5 hours ago, Don Taylor said:

I would be very interested to see some photographs of the inside of a Rochelle 2 - the action board and the reed pan.

(I doubt very much that Wim will make a Jack/Jackie 2 or an Elise 2 with a high button count.  AFAICT he is using flat-mounted reeds which limits the number of reeds he can accomodate to something in the mid-30 range).

Don, 

Some of my tweets could be useful (they are in Japanese, but with photos)

Exterior and Action Board of Rochelle-2

Buttons are not bush-felted, but well-fit and does not make noise.

Reed Pan of Rochelle-2 (through bellows)

Reed blocks are screw-fixed

Edited by gtotani
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/19/2021 at 2:45 AM, Don Taylor said:

It is perfectly possible to fit 45 accordion reeds flat in 7” box. I have just printed a „field grade camping box” last week using reclaimed Elise bellows and reeds (which are in fact slightly oversized and the whole task would be a lot easier if they had standard scaling). All but 3 lowest of those 45 reeds are flat mounted, with only three lowest notes having my slanted chambers to improve response to instantaneous). I sincerely do not know why 7” Peacock has only 42 buttons and why Wim continues to design disfunctional Haydens when he clearly has the expertise to make all other systems properly.

57 minutes ago, Łukasz Martynowicz said:

It is perfectly possible to fit 45 accordion reeds flat in 7” box.

If the Elise-2 uses the same basic box as the Rochelle-2 then it will be a 6 1/2" box (vs. 7 1/2" for the standard Elise).

1 hour ago, Don Taylor said:

If the Elise-2 uses the same basic box as the Rochelle-2 then it will be a 6 1/2" box (vs. 7 1/2" for the standard Elise).

7 1/3” to be exact. But I seriously doubt, that Wim would release a cheap box that would cannibalize Troubadour sales (if there are any, as this is the least reasonable Hayden on the market judged by utility to price ratio) so 34 buttons on Elise 2 seems like the most likely number.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 8/18/2021 at 1:52 PM, gtotani said:

I decided to get a Rochelle-2 before its price get any higher, and here she is, in Tokyo, Japan. 

I have uploaded some movies on my  YouTube channel so that you can actually listen to the sound it makes. 

Due to the camera property, R2 in the movies may look big, but it is more or less the same size as Minstrel. 

If you have any questions about R2, I will be glad to answer. 

Totani

Great playing, thank you. I have had a Rochelle-2 for a month now and am still breaking it in. I would love to hear your experience, from new as to how it has changed over time. Do the bellows ever soften up fully? Do all the reeds eventually speak evenly?

• Like 1