Wheatstone Concertina (Steve Dickinson) 30 button C/G

bargemans

Hello, I'm interested. I can't find it in Ebay. 

I play a Hohner Concertina  exactly the same  30 C/G   Anglo/ Irish setting.  It's more a beginner instrument. 
I play Concertina since 25 Years as a hobby and now i need a upgrade of the Instrument with faster action.

I live in Mainz, Germany.  

Hello bargemans,  thank you, I found it in  Ebay.co.uk.  But actually I think it is too expensive for me. I could buy me a new Concertina by Suttner for more then 2000,- € less 🤨.  Sure the Name of the Instrument is famous

I understand it is not a real old instrument, Steve Dickinson took up the Wheatstone Factory Name in 1975. 

It also would be a problem for me to spend such a lot money without a possibility to test and play the instrument. Due to Corona I see no chance to visit Isle of Wight at the moment.

On 2/21/2021 at 2:12 PM, Michael Wiegert said:

Hello bargemans,  thank you, I found it in  Ebay.co.uk.  But actually I think it is too expensive for me. I could buy me a new Concertina by Suttner for more then 2000,- € less 🤨.  Sure the Name of the Instrument is famous

I understand it is not a real old instrument, Steve Dickinson took up the Wheatstone Factory Name in 1975. 

It also would be a problem for me to spend such a lot money without a possibility to test and play the instrument. Due to Corona I see no chance to visit Isle of Wight at the moment.

A particular Suttner may be less, but its not a Steve Dickinson Wheatstone, just as a Jeffries isnt a Dipper. Its worth the money. Your comment seems to imply something negative about the value of this instrument

6 hours ago, Oberon said:

A particular Suttner may be less, but its not a Steve Dickinson Wheatstone, just as a Jeffries isnt a Dipper. Its worth the money. Your comment seems to imply something negative about the value of this instrument

I would agree.  Comments such as that one would be better served in a PM.

Hi

I am startled at clueless responses to for sale ads that offer comments on prices especially, but also on other notions that might be a reflection on the writer's inner dialogue but offer nothing of interest or  use to the topic, and in this case reveal the writers lack of knowledge and/or experience with the subject.

If everyone who saw a for sale ad and felt it is necessary to chime in on the thread to inform the world that they would not buy this item with all the reasons why, it would get pretty ridiculous and tiresome.

I often think of an old Irish saying..."Never miss an opportunity to say nothing". This philosophy has served me well!

Richard

1 hour ago, richard said:

Hi

I am startled at clueless responses to for sale ads that offer comments on prices especially, but also on other notions that might be a reflection on the writer's inner dialogue but offer nothing of interest or  use to the topic, and in this case reveal the writers lack of knowledge and/or experience with the subject.

If everyone who saw a for sale ad and felt it is necessary to chime in on the thread to inform the world that they would not buy this item with all the reasons why, it would get pretty ridiculous and tiresome.

I often think of an old Irish saying..."Never miss an opportunity to say nothing". This philosophy has served me well!

Richard

Guten Abend,

why so flinty and bitter vis-à-vis a fledgling who is trying to find his way through and share his thoughts about what price is acceptable for what kind of old, semi-old or modern instrument. I guess there's nothing wrong in questioning prices, especially as a novice,  and - being a rookie myself - I still find those big numbers tagged on a 30-key-anglo  a bit surprising, whilst one hardly finds a 20-key instrument reaching the 1000-Pound-mark. I would suggest that Mr. Wiegert's poor English language sounds somewhat rude in English ears, but, knowing the mindframe of my countrymen,  I'm sure rudeness or criticism is really not what he wanted to express.  My interpretation would have been that he wanted to share his reasoning and invite us to reality-check it and give him advise and feedback.

Well, this is what we're actually doing, -  right?! -

• Like 2

I

2 hours ago, Forestsun said:

Guten Abend,

why so flinty and bitter vis-à-vis a fledgling who is trying to find his way through and share his thoughts about what price is acceptable for what kind of old, semi-old or modern instrument. I guess there's nothing wrong in questioning prices, especially as a novice,  and - being a rookie myself - I still find those big numbers tagged on a 30-key-anglo  a bit surprising, whilst one hardly finds a 20-key instrument reaching the 1000-Pound-mark. I would suggest that Mr. Wiegert's poor English language sounds somewhat rude in English ears, but, knowing the mindframe of my countrymen,  I'm sure rudeness or criticism is really not what he wanted to express.  My interpretation would have been that he wanted to share his reasoning and invite us to reality-check it and give him advise and feedback.

Well, this is what we're actually doing, -  right?! -

I think where the thread is leaning is: These are good questions best asked either in a Personal Message or in the General Discussion forum.  There are things I would like to know about the Steve Dickinson Wheatstones myself. Though I am currently not in the market I've become intensely interested in the minutia of anglo concertina history and evolution.  The question why concertina X should cost more or less than concertina Y or Z could be carried on as a General Discussion and a person would get input from many others.  Much could be learned by picking the brains of the experts on the forum. 

For the most part I've found the folks here to be very understanding, and while occasionally we may seem "flinty" most folks here are very generous with their knowledge and experience and forgiving of the occasional misstep.  (I, myself have made a few verbal blunders here)  And, yes, what seems like an obvious direct question to one person might suffer misunderstanding due to the subtly of cross cultural communication.  But we can all grow together here through our common interest.

• Thanks 1

Hello

Please pardon my flinty-ness. I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm and curiosity.

The main point is that when someone is trying to sell something I feel asking them to rationalize the price and explain themselves in general works against the purpose of that specific type of posting. I have been in that position.

A discussion on the topic of pricing of instruments and comparative qualities of different makes and vintages is an interesting topic and I believe should be made in as an independent posting, so not to complicate or even undermine someone's attempt to offer an instrument for sale.

Richard

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This has come up before, with sellers in the past asking that general discussions and debates be in separate threads. I suppose I could try to police this in every thread, but it would be simpler if all of you would do it when you are tempted to make comments.  😶 Thanks.

Ken

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1