Opinions on Dave Leggett concertinas?

Hello, I may have an opportunity to purchase a unique smaller concertina by Dave Leggett, but I cannot play it in advance due to being in the wrong country.  I understand he used to be a member here and sadly passed away a few years ago.  He made a few instruments and I am wondering if anyone has opinions on what they were like regarding playability and general construction.  There isn't much available on the internet as far as I can see.  Thank you!

Last year, before Dave passed away, I bought a half completed 5" 26 key Anglo from him. I am now getting near its' completion having too much time on my hands here in England.

What I can say with absolute certainty is that Dave was a very knowledgeable craftsman of the highest order. He was a skilled jeweller and this shows in his attention to small details. Each part of the instrument was made by Dave, in his own workshop, and finished to a high standard.  He made his own reeds for special projects, both frames and tongues and my box has the distinction of having some reeds which I completed with spring steel supplied by Dave, from the makers of the Spitting Image puppets.

Once this box is completed I will post photos on here.

Regards,

Mike

• Like 1

Just before he passed, I had the good fortune to work with Dave Leggett on publishing his book of songs, tunes and poems titled Ditty Box. If you'll send me a PM with your address I'll make sure to send you one to go with your new Leggett concertina!

Gary