looking for any bass concertina that goes down to F1 or lower.

I get the feeling from the discussion on this post that there is a market for G-bass English Concertinas: maybe a small market, for dozens rather than hundreds of instruments. Perhaps some of the makers might like to think about coming up with a specification and a guide price, and see how many customers step forward to provide orders for new instruments.

2 hours ago, LesJessop said:

I get the feeling from the discussion on this post that there is a market for G-bass English Concertinas: maybe a small market, for dozens rather than hundreds of instruments. Perhaps some of the makers might like to think about coming up with a specification and a guide price, and see how many customers step forward to provide orders for new instruments.

As I said a few posts ago, I'd be up for building one. The way I prefer to work is one order at a time; players contact me with a rough idea of their ideal specification and if it's something I can do I figure out an estimated price for them. If they wish to go ahead and place an order, I ask for a deposit to reserve their position on the waiting list. I only make high quality instruments with my own traditional reeds so the price would be at the higher end (though maybe less than you're thinking), and my waiting list is currently over four years' long.

In my opinion, there's a lot to be said for single action basses. By halving the number of reeds you can fit in larger reeds and longer chambers at the bottom end, which helps a lot with the responsiveness. I might suggest going with 48 or 34 buttons, starting at G1, the same fingering as a treble but two octaves lower. Including the upper octave probably wouldn't increase the size a lot because most of the reed pans will be taken up with the bottom notes, but it would increase the price. If you want to have an F1 too, it could either replace the bottom G# as is the common modification, or given that it's a new build why not just add it as an extra button in the logical position on the left hand?

Edited by alex_holden

3 hours ago, Bassconcertina.net said:

Well if you were to build one try to model it after this.image.jpeg.bb51dd934d6772c0f0cd30a403177e90.jpeg

I don't build instruments on spec - too much of a gamble. If somebody placed a definite order, they would get to tell me what they want.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2021 at 1:38 PM, Tiposx said:

Some rough measurements of overall dimensions would be a start for prospective builders.

On 2/24/2021 at 12:35 PM, LesJessop said:

Im starting to build one 

• 10 months later...