End bushing boards

I recently acquired a metal-ended Lachenal MacCann concertina (number 816) for refurbishment. When I opened it, I was surprised there were no bushing boards (assuming that is the correct term) where the button go through the metal ends. The ends had been bushed by cutting felt and glueing it to the metal ends (see pictures).

I would be grateful for some advice.
Would I be best making some bushing boards? If so, what type of wood should I use and how thick should it be?

My other option is to copy what’s there but I don’t think that is the best answer.D0938E28-81D3-42E5-85DF-E3E06A64D317.thumb.jpeg.da990df81ddf2aadb544f007db9c1f1b.jpegD2CD6FAB-8082-48E7-BB9D-0A43B45790F7.thumb.jpeg.ea60e308950db2428fc74709618ae67f.jpeg

Thanks, Peter

I saw this on a lachenal that had wooden ends, but the bushing material was chamois leather.

I would just replace like for like, after working out the best way of punching the holes.

It would be much less hassle and it seems to have worked for a few decades or so!

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, there are no holes for screws to hold a bushing board. The current bushes use felt round the inside of the hole then the inside end cut & glued to the end plate (see pictures below).Looks like a tedious job but maybe that’s what is needed. I cannot see any sign of a board having been glued to the metal end.

Thanks. Peter

9492D997-BB77-400E-9AB1-994B76FB36AF.thumb.jpeg.719be741fabc4188c80d9ad50c79b35d.jpeg

Hi Peter,

Before you go to all the trouble of making new bushing boards, first make sure you have sufficient clearance between the new boards and all parts of the button lever mechanism, including the little piece of lever that extends beyond the button.

Gary

Do you think the felt was someone's aftermarket attempt to silence some clattering buttons?

I would think the sharp metal edges would have made short work of any felt, as opposed to the bushing board that present a larger and smoother surface.

Gary

Yes, I bought this through Ebay in January this year.

The existing bushing is quite stiff but I would think its not original.  Maybe some glue was used in with felt to strengthen where the felt meets the metal.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and advice.

Peter 

Thanks. I hope it has come to a good home! I value these old concertinas.

Like you I play anglo and also duet (mostly Crane).

I have restored a number of anglos and was looking for a more challenging restoration. I would like to experiment a bit with this MacCann by moving the reeds around a bit to give a Chidley layout (if that is fairly straightforward).

Peter